News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

decoder for HO SPectrum Dash 8-40C

Started by LeeTrainsYuma, January 25, 2009, 10:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeTrainsYuma

Hi! Am looking at putting in some decoders in a couple Spectrum Dash 8-40C locos I have. THese are the new ones but not the DCC on board. It ahs the 8 pin NMRA plug on it. There is nothing on the directiosn sheet about what the light board for what LED 2 + and - are to go to. Adding ditch lights? Any issues with the boards as these have the slip on plugs, I have been told to cut the plugs and solder the wires on. THoughts about that?
Also has anyone done one of these and installed a sound unit in them? Any suggestions? THanks, Lee

Yampa Bob

Hi Lee,
I am not familiar with the Dash locomotive, so the best I can do is give you a link to a typical installation.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoderpics/Bachmann%20GE%20DASH/BACHMANN%20GE%20DASH.htm

The "slip on plugs" are solderless connectors. A wire is inserted into a hole in the circuit board from the bottom, and the plastic retainer slides over the wire.  Note there is a notch on the retainer that must be on the bottom of board, it allows clearance for the wire insulation.  The connectors allow easy removal of the board for those who wish to hard wire a decoder.

If you plan to remove the board, trace and tag each wire for identification before pulling off any retainers. It's always wise to study the wiring thoroughly before attempting installation.

There is a note about changing CV29 for standard operation. This might have been due to the factory switching the motor wires on the circuit board of model used.  

The exploded diagram for the DCC equipped version can be downloaded, click  "Product Reference" on the left menu, "Diagrams",  download H835x....... 

I will let someone who is more familiar with the locomotive and/or installation answer your auxiliary lighting questions.

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

LeeTrainsYuma

Cool thanks. I hadn't looked on the TCS site. Had checked NCE, digitrax, litchfeild and TOny's. This helps a lot. Only question now is what about one with sound........

Yampa Bob

Lee,

The part number for Tsunami TSU-1000 series (1 amp), for GE Dash 8-40, with prime mover GEFDL-16 is............# 827108  This is a new release, should be in stores by now.  I don't see a listing at Caboose Hobbies yet, but will call them if you wish for expected delivery.

You can preview the prototype sound at the Soundtraxx site.

You would also need an adapter harness from JST 9 pin female to NMRA 8 pin male to fit the Bachmann board.  The harness is made in two lengths, 1" and 3".  The 1" will probably work, but may require the 3" to get the decoder in available space. I'll find the stock numbers, adapters made by Digitrax.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

LeeTrainsYuma

Thanks for th eadded info. I was getting ready to order and see there is a recall on M-1 TCS decoders for the motor control according to their websites for ones from Novmber and December 2008, so will look for the Tsunamis in the meantime.
Thansk again. Will post up what I get and how it works out. Lee