Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale 2-8-0

Started by john chumbley, January 28, 2009, 01:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john chumbley

Ive just joined and I am confused !

I bought a 2-8-0 Bachmann Cat no 81296 which is 1:20.3 scale

I also have a Box Car Bachmann 95368 which is in 1:20.3 scale and the two models are totally different in size.

I have a Big Hauler ( the Green one) which I know is 1:22.5 the same scale as LGB so I can see the scale size is ok

The Industrial 2-6-0 Mogul is also 1:20.3 scale but looks ridiculous against the 2-8-0

The 2-8-0 is based on a Virginia City Engine which is 2 foot 6inch

Can anyone explain these differences to me as I'm totally confused

Woody Elmore

Albert Einstein would have difficulty understanding all the scales associated with G gauge track. I suggest you try the large scale forum for more detailed answers.

Your Mogul and 2-8-0 are the same scale. The mogul happens to be a much smaller engine than the 2-8-0. A mini cooper is tiny when compared to a limousine.

Be prepared to learn about 1:32, 1:24, 1:22.5 and 1:20.3 scales and the new F scale. Have some Advil handy.

Kevin Strong

The box car in question is labeled as "1:20.3", but is not, and never was intended to be. It was part of a series of small cars that came out right around the time of the Shay, and the cars got labeled as such so to ride the coat tails of the Shay's popularity. It was a marketing decision gone awry that really needs to be corrected now that they've got a line of true 1:20 stuff. While it's plausible that there were flat cars and gondolas built to such diminutive sizes when measured in 1:20.3, there were no box cars built that small. One needs to be able to at least almost stand up inside.

The industrial mogul is based on the body and tender of the old 2-4-2 Columbia, a 1:22.5 model of an existing locomotive. The mogul has no true prototype, though it is "close" to one or two locos. Calling it 1:20.3 is also somewhat of a stretch, but we bite our tongues because there were 3' gauge locos built to such diminutive sizes.

The 2-8-0 is based on a 30" gauge locomotive, but that loco was a Baldwin catalog design that could be built in gauges anywhere from 30" to 1 meter. It's conceivable that the frames for a 30" and meter gauge loco would be the same width apart, the only difference being the distance of the wheels between the frame. This was fairly common practice with builders of outside-frame locomotives. Without knowing the distance between the frames of the specific prototype, I can't say for sure.

But just in case you think everything in one scale is necessarily the same size...

Nothing is ever easy. All three locomotives are 1:20.3.

Later,

K

john chumbley

Hi, Thanks for the reply, Do you know what rolling stock and coaches  should  go with the 2-8-0 then ?

john

az2rail

I think that the rolling stock that have an 8xxxx number, is what you will be happy with, as they are much larger. In the Bachmann line, you will have your choice of box, flat, tank, and steel hopper cars.

There are other manufactures out there also, but be prepared to have to make the couplers match.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Kevin Strong

The simple answer is any of Bachmann's "Spectrum" series rolling stock, and the cars made by Accucraft under the "AMS" brand. They're all truly 1:20.3. There are kits as well from other manufacturers.

There are certain pieces of other brands' rolling stock that work well when measured in 1:20.3, too, mostly for older (c. 1870s, 1880s) equipment that would have been retired by the 20s and 30s.

BTW, a good source for the latest and greatest in the world of 1:20.3:
http://120pointme.blogspot.com/

Later,

K