News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

switching from dcc to dc

Started by bobv, January 29, 2009, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobv

Hi
Here is a question I haven't seen yet.  I have a new dcc  system and dcc locos.  Since I have mostly older DC locos, I have a way to switch from the DC transformer to the DCC- depending on the locos I want to run.
Question: Once I program a new dcc loco, it doesn't work anymore on the DC power.  Prior to the initial DCC programing, it did run on DC.  Is this correct?
Also, is it bad to leave non operating DCC loco's on a DC track?

Jim Banner

Add 4 to the value in CV29 to turn analogue conversion back on.  It sounds like it was accidentally turned off when changing address.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hunt

Are you using one of the MRC Prodigy DCC systems?

If so which one, if not, what did you use to program your locomotive?
What were you trying to program? Address? what?

jestor

This happened to me; a couple of locos wouldn't run on DC after being run and CV's messed with on DCC. I went back and set CV 29 to the factory value of 6 and they worked again on DC.  :)

bobv

Yes, I am using a new MRC prodigy Advanced2
Do I need to change CV 29 to 6 or 4?
Do I need to do it for each engine?
Also when programmin a loco it asked for an address 1st and then a loco number.  Can I input the road number both times?  Or is the address different from the loco #  .  All programming manuals don't really explain the difference

Hunt

During programming of a locomotive address the Alternate Power Source, which is Bit2 of CV29, is disabled by the Prodigy Advance2

Not knowing the current value of CV29 is the reason Jim told you to add 4 to the current CV29 value. Current value of CV29 + 4 will enable the Alternate Power Source, thus allow the decoder to automatically use DC when it is used.

>>>>>

As I advised --- I have deleted from this reply the addition details about MRC Prodigy Advance2 and MRC decoders. The details removed are accurate.

bobv

Hunt/all
Thank you very much!  I really appreciate your help.   So it appears there is a difference between Loco address(which refers to the stack) and Loco # (which is its road #) I'll give it a try.