Online reference on how to wire turnouts available?

Started by tommy7128, November 12, 2009, 11:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommy7128

New to trains, new to this board.  In the process of laying out a n scale ez track.  Basically I purchased a Santa Fe explorer set, purchased some additional straight track to stretch it out, curved track to to make the infield runs and 4 turnouts for the 2 midfield runs.  I have been reading the post reguarding the turnout issues, but I still do not have a clear picture of how to wire the 4 turnouts.  Are there any online diagrams to show how to wire 2 or more turnouts?  Also, will the power pack that came with the explorer set be enough to run the train and 4 turnouts?

ncc1701

You will not need to worry about wiring your turnouts given the size of your layout and the fact that they are EZ track. The post you read had to deal with atlas brand switches which feature an unpowered frog that must be wired separately via a current reversing switch if the modeler wants the frog powered-no need to worry about that.

The only wiring you have to worry about is if you want to control your switches via the built in switch machine (optional), and of course the minimum of two feeders from the power pack to the mainline. 

One additional piece of advice would be to run more than one set of feeders from the power pack to the main for better conductivity.

Clear blocks ahead,

Michael

ncc1701

Another note, my bad about the other topic you looked at, although they are EZ track, you still do not need to worry because you are running on a dc power pack, and not digital command control.

tommy7128

Thanks for you reply.

I assume the the switch machine you mentioned is the black "direction" box that came with each turnout.  I do want to use them.  Using an additional set of feeders, does that mean to use an additional rerailer on the other side of the track and wire it to the 1 power pack?

ncc1701

In your case, that is what it means. Given the size of your layout, you would need only one more rerailer connection more for the sake of redundancy than anything else.

The black direction box is the controller for the machine. The mechanism itself is already installed and found underneath the turnout itself.

Glad to be of help.