News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotives we would like to see in N scale

Started by 1218classa, January 29, 2009, 10:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDG_Rich

QuoteI am guessing you are talking about the older Reading 2-8-0 with the huge firebox? That shell will fit over the current Spectrum 2-8-0 with out too much effort.

Yes. I have frankensteined one of these, or I guess I should say I have partially frankensteined one.  The issue with fit comes with the goofy plastic wedge on the spectrum frame, and the light board, and front end. Once those problems are overcome, the next issue is the tender drawbar for the medium USRA tender is too short, and the cab binds against the front of the tender.

My proposed solution:

1.  Completely cut the goofy metal tabs off, and find a suitable place to drill and tap some screws (probably where the weight came out of) for the motor leads.

2.  Grind off material from the front of the frame so the pipes that go from the smokebox to the cylinders lines up. based on drawings I have, It will make the firebox sit a little too far back (just eyeballing) over the rear driver, but the front end will look better.

3.  Use a USRA Long drawbar. Someone once told me that it was a couple mm longer than the medium, and I remember measuring it out, and it seemed like it should do the trick.

4. Then there is the question of what to do with the headlight. In my previous attempt, I just moved the whole deal back where the removable weight was, which made it fit, but I'd kind of like to have a working headlight.

Seeing your 0-6-0 has really made me want to revisit this project, and doing it RIGHT. To the point where all the molded on piping, rivets etc would be shaved off, and replaced with quality parts.  I know I have the ability to do it, in the past it was just an issue of time, patience, and sourcing the right parts for the job. 

The Reading 2-8-0 was my first loco when I got back into MRRing a few years ago, and I'd love to have one (or 12  ;D ) that was a real showpiece.

Rich

skipgear

There are currently 3 different length spectrum drawbars:

Short - used on: USRA, USRA short, Slope back
Medium - used on: USRA Long (comes on 2-6-6-2 version, not sure about replacement versions)
Long - used on: Vanderbuilt

You can also build your own....

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

AardvarkMine

I fall for this topic every time it's posted.... I'm such a sucker.

Any 3-truck geared... any road... I'll have to re-paint them anyway.
Logging mallet.

OK, my needs are kind of one-dimensional... them's the breaks.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

johnTom

How about revamping the old Bachmann MIKADO  2-8-2
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

johnTom

This is just a thought, as well as out of curiosity for those who would like the attempt at keeping a diesel locomotive roster with the same model RR manufacturer company, other than the GP40,GP50, SD40-2,SD45 and the GE DASH 8-40C's and GE DASH 8-40CW's which Bachmann has produced.
  What about the introduction of the GP7,GP9,GP60,SD50 this should include a re-introduction of the GP30 but,this time in N-SCALE? These loco models that I mentioned do not suffer from the lack of railroad names, these loco's would be a nice addition to compliment the series of loco's that is mentioned here. This comes from thoughts of having a variety of locomotives from other manufacterers,which shall remain nameless here .. 

Tom

Tom

johnTom

Is there anyone here other than myself interested in seeing Bachmann produce the Chinese Railway's SY 2-8-2's and QJ 2-10-2's and other Bachmann HO-scale foreign locomotives in N-SCALE?

Tom

in_eden

I'd like a 2-10-2 that could be made into a B&O S class "big six".
But make a B&O boiler front... domed smoke box w/ a high headlight.
It really comletes the look!

skipgear

Like this:

I still think small steam is where the time should be spent. 4-6-0, 4-4-2, and a small boilered 2-10-0 are the big sticking points. Wheel arangements that have not been done in any US form yet.
Tony Hines

in_eden

Pretty much exactly like that!
Where did you get the B&O front? High headlight? Do you think you could modify a Model Power Pacific or Mikado similarly to make them more prototypically B&O?
Is there a you tube video of that loco half finished? Along with a streamlined P7 you were working on?
That's pretty impressive work.
Does it run?

skipgear

"Does it run?" he asks.....

That was the test run - 70 hoppers. It was maxxed out at 88 later before it started slipping.

Here are the rest of the pictures on the build.

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/1204

There is also a complete article on the build available from the B&O Historical Society in the B&O Modeler e-magazine or from N-Trak in the Steam Handbook.

Tony Hines

in_eden

Well... um... okay... it runs.
That is an amazing job! If only anyone (A HEM) would mass produce something of near that stunning quality! And in B&O!
The Heavy Mountain is easly made into a reasonable B&O T4, but I'd love to have a good T3, S1, Q1-4, EM1, and P7 rounding the layout I'm building...
Beautiful skip... just beautiful!

skipgear

Well, I'm trying to fullfill the axiom..."As soon as somebody shows the result of months or years scratchbuilding a loco or car, the manufactures announce it the next week."

EM-1 -

P-7d -

D-30 -

I'm probably going to use a light mountain for the RF&P Mountains with a new boilers. The Heavy boiler is die cast and harder to work with. I honestly think it easier to build a brass boiler from scratch than work with a die cast shell.
Tony Hines

skipgear

BTW - forgot to answer about the B&O plate on the smoke box. They come on the Gold Medal Models steam detail kit. Unfortunately, only two per detail kit. If anybody out there has these and would like to trade, I have a few of the other that come on the kit that I won't be using, PRR, NYC, etc.
Tony Hines

in_eden

Skip... wow. You've got talent.
Hey BachMAN!~ you watching this?
I can't undserstand why there aren't more of these made... by SOMEONE. There has to be a bunch of modelers that would be interested in an EM-1, or a P7 (I love the Cincinatian, and would buy one immediately, but am equally interested in the standard P7 and late era modified "standard" P7)...
The Big Six is pretty... are you in the Maryland/Baltimore/DC area? In an N Trak? I'd love to check that thing out!
If you enjoy modifying locos, you should consider a little business... you're really good at it!

taz-of-boyds

I am still desprate for the Ten-wheeler and Russian Decapod.

Oh boo, oh hoo,
Charles