News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotives we would like to see in N scale

Started by 1218classa, January 29, 2009, 10:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmlaboda

"A USRA heavy pacific"

Actually we already have the makings for an USRA heavy pacific.  Using one of the Japanese 4-6-2 chassis and parts of the Kato Mikado (boiler, cylinders, cab, etc.) a person should be able to do a very good likeness with just a reasonable amount of work.

"more old style US streetcars!"

Have you seen the cast resin Pacific Electric cars that Miniatures by Eric are doing in N-scale?  The detail is truly great and at least some of the cars could have application elsewhere.  Also Imperial Hobby Productions has a few really nice cast resin shells as well.  The West Penn car is really a beauty.

"How about a Norfolk and Western 4-8-0?"

This engine, like either the early or more modern 4-6-0, would be very welcome on my roster!!!

"I could use a Pacific in the style of the Western Maryland"

That is one I would be interested in as well.  It is a very attractive steamer and probably would be welcome even if a person wasn't modeling WM because of its looks.

"GE E30"

Can someone please tell me what an E30 is?  Anyone have any links?
jerry

Passenger Car Photo Index - ITS HUGE!!! 10,672 links added 2 August 2015!!!
The T1 Trust - building a NEW 1:1 scale PRR T1 one part at a time.

Olesmokey

Maybe already asked but a 0-4-0 and a shay two or three truck model would be super. 8)
SMARRCo. Short line

derricknscaler

i want to see a n scale fairlie there cool the way its doubled headed
i think it would be an awsome n scale model for bachmenn to make or any other model factory

herc driver

Southern Railway High Hood GP30 in tuxedo black of course.  Since Bmann already makes the GP50 in NS colors, this shouldn't be too tough to make.

Olesmokey

I just got my 0-6-0 sf with slope back tender!!! Beautiful!!!! Now about that 0-4-0 and shay????? ;D
SMARRCo. Short line

dtpowell

As I was watching a N&W video this evening a question came to mind. If Bachmann can produce a heavy Mountain 4-8-2 in C&O and also offer it in N&W too. Why then can't they do the same for the C&O class H5 2-6-6-2 and produce a reasonable N&W class Z 2-6-6-2? I want one!  ;D Or two.  :D Er Please? Sure the Bachmann model doesn't pull too many cars (Mine pulls 12 OK), but the Z didn't either!

Here is, also, my second vote for the Penna K4 Pacific, L1 Mikado, and (Yes, I may be dreaming) T1 4-4-4-4 in Penna and B&O. It may not be the N1 George Emerson. It still would look great in Blue and Gray.

johnTom

I noticed that the prr T-1 is mentioned, I saw nothing here that mentioned of Pennsylvania  railway's  other than the T-1(4-4-4-4) 6110, 6111.What about the following Pennsylvania RR locomotive types.

PRR S-1 (6-4-4-6) 6100,PRR Q-1 (4-6-4-4) 6130
PRR Q-2 (4-4-6-4) 6131,6175-6199 and PRR S2-6-8-6

However, these all look like nice kitbashing projects. Especially B&O RR's The George Emerson ..

Tom
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

1218classa

dtpowell, I purchased a Bachmann 2-6-6-2 undec. to make a representation of an N%W class Z. What do you think would be the most obvious modification to make?  Where do you think the best source for the lettering and numbering should come from?

dtpowell

Hello N&W1218classa,
I guess it depends on the extent of accuracy you're trying to achieve. There's a big difference between the C&O H5 and any of the N&W Z classes. The H5 is a modern simple articulated locos from the 1940's and the Z's were early compounds (Mallets) build first in 1912. Still, the Z is a 2-6-6-2 and at least a locomotive in the style of N&W could be created from the H5 in my opinion.

I haven't done much kit bashing myself. But the first thing I'd do is move the pumps. Air pump  to the Engineer's side. Worthington feed water heater and pump to the Fireman's side.  Modify the walkways and piping as needed.  Add hand rails to the pilot deck. Reposition the bell if desired. I kinda like the bell on the front like the Y3 myself.  Letter the tender for Norfolk and Western.  Microscale No. 460-60106, they should be available now. Cab No.? Since the H5 is a modern Loco. I think I'd keep the cab no. 1500 series and consider the loco a "tounge in check" Z2b. The one's the Vice President of motive power of the N&W bought from the C&O for testing on some imaginary Virginia branch line.  ;) This works for me.

If you're looking for a realistic model of the Z, I'd have to consider scraping the boiler, firebox, and cab. I doubt the H5's will work without major modifications. The mechanism should work OK except for the front cylinders. I believe it may be possible to modify the front cylinders to the larger low pressure piston valve version. All depends on your level of skill. This loco I'd give a 1400 series Cab no. to represent the Z1b. The last N&W version from the 1930's. I might change the tender if I could find an orphaned Lifelike Y3 tender. Otherwise, the tender isn't a big issue.

The Bachmann C&O H5 is a great looking loco. As badly as we N scalers need additional power, I believe making a few minor changes to create a non-prototypical yet plausible N&W 2-6-6-2 loco might be worth Bachmann's effort. My greatest request is for Bachmann to spend the cash need for the correct tooling for a true model of one of the Z classes. Until then I'd be happy with something a little less. I believe many of use would.

Best of luck with your conversion.

-Dave

1218classa

That's exactly what I am looking for is a representation of a locomotive, not so much as an "exact" replica of one. Just to get the appearance across is what most of us are looking for right now. Maybe later they can modify the tooling to get a more accurate model.

johnTom

How about a good N-SCALE representations of the Chinese SY and QJ class and others or have complete line of Chinese (it doesn't have to be chinese)steam and diesel locomotives,for those who want something foreign or different.

Tom
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

Williamson

Quote from: dtpowell on April 10, 2009, 11:06:57 PM
Hello N&W1218classa,
I guess it depends on the extent of accuracy you're trying to achieve. There's a big difference between the C&O H5 and any of the N&W Z classes. The H5 is a modern simple articulated locos from the 1940's and the Z's were early compounds (Mallets) build first in 1912. Still, the Z is a 2-6-6-2 and at least a locomotive in the style of N&W could be created from the H5 in my opinion.

The Bachmann 2-6-6-2 is a USRA 2-6-6-2 as such it was built in the teens as were the N&W Zs which were built well into the teens. So they both date to about the same era.

Many of the Z1a class were re-built into Z1b class and had their front slide valves replaced with more modern piston valves (among other things such as larger tenders).

I am kitbashing one of the Bachmann models into a N&W Z1b as they ran in the 1950s. This required a fishbelly tender from a LL Y3.

Overall, the driver size is very close on the Z to the USRA 2-6-6-2. The USRA boiler is a bit larger overall so the kitbash will be a "close enough" model.

Decals are available to cover any of the N&W paint schemes applied from the teens through 1960.

Mark

Davy

Rather far out, but I did see a mention of it: Pennsy S2 6-8-6 turbine. I have some HO, and would buy in that scale if offered.

Earle Baldwin

How about an upgraded version of the E60CH/P as released in HO?

Bob

Santa Fe buff

Hmm, let me think...

• DL&W No. 952 4-4-0 Camelback Click Here
  • Pennsylvania Power & Light Co. Fireless 0-8-0 Switcher Click Here

Joshua
SOURCES
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/camelback/
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/streamlined/surviving/

- Joshua Bauer