bachmann 4-4-0 jupiter dcc installation?

Started by terry16, January 30, 2009, 04:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry16

I also model in the 1800 ,I would really like to have the 4-4-0 for my dcc layout. How hard is it to install dcc in this model,and which decoder is best?

richG

This should be in the HO forum but anyway, I have used a Lenz Lenz LE077XF decoder in a IHC HO scale 4-4-0, Mantua General 4-4-0 and a Bachmann 4-4-0. They worked pretty good but need all wheel pickup on the tender. Pickup on the Fireman's side would be nice also.

I am planning on trying some Lenz Silver Mini Silent-Back EMF decoders I picked up on sale some months ago.
Not sure either decoders are available anymore. Check Litchfield Station and Tony's Trains.

The install is a tight fit but can be done. Very simple, red wire to right rail, black wire to left rail, orange and grey wires to the motor. The motor wire coming from the locomotive to the motor is the right rail wire the last I remember. Remove this wire and connect the decoder Orange wire to the motor. The Grey wire to the other motor terminal. Only one wire on each motor terminal

Check the motor current with 12 volts DC. My locos where all under .5 amp with the drivers slipping at full throttle.

I am including a link to improve the Bachmann old time 4--4-0

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/bachmann_4-4-0/wipers/

Rich