News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

An N scale K4 in the works

Started by 1218classa, February 01, 2009, 11:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1218classa

Does anyone think that Bachmann will come out with an N scale version of their Spectrum K4 Pacific? I think that if they would produce such a model with the same quality as their other steam engines it would be hard to keep in stock.

thirdrail

The PRR K4s in HO was the first Spectrum model madeby Bachmann. Those of us in N scale have been asking for it ever since and still don't have it. So, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

If they ever do, I'll take several in the prewar version, thank you.

1218classa

I just wonder who you need to talk to at Bachmann to make a request like this. I may not see the whole picture but I don't understand why they have not tried to produce one of these models. Bachmann hit a home run when they retooled the N&W Class J. I have a few and converted them to DCC with sound (MRC Brilliance decoder). These are some of the best steamers I have. Now the N&W only made 14 Js compared to the hundreds of K4 pacifics made by Pennsy. I just don't see the reason!

the Bach-man

Dear 1218,
You've already done so- and I've passed along the request!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

in_eden

Please please please pretty please please...
Along the lines of the 2-8-0 and the Heavy 4-8-2... a heavy pacific would do WONDERS as far as sales. With few modifications you could model PRR, B&O, AT&SF, NYC, Southern, Southern Pacific... and about every other major railroad in the US that ran a heavy 4-6-2 based on the ALCO prototype...
DO IT!
PLEASE!

dtpowell

1218classa, I'm with you. Bachmann produces some fine steam loco's and a Pacific 4-6-2 would be a most welcome addition. Especialy the K4s. Pre or Post war versions. I have the Kato Broadway limited with GG-1's and E8's, but it's cryin' for a steamer. I'd love a T1 4-4-4-4, S1 Turbine? ;D Hint, hint, but the K4s would be a bigger hit me thinks. So here's hoping someone will build one soon!

P.S. Some heavyweight cars would be a nice addition too! (New tooling not Rivarossi or Lima please)

1218classa

I know the customer base is out there for one of these locos. I don't think that Bachmann or whomever decides to produce this engine would be disappointed of the sales. Post and pre-war editions should be easy to make. I just don't see how N scalers have to go this long without an engine like the K4! It was one of the workhorses of the Pennsy for many years.

Williamson

The Minitrix K4 Pacific is long gone (and has a primitive by today's standards chassis to boot!) so yeah the market is ripe for a state of the art tooling N scale PRR K-4!

Mark

dtpowell

There is another bonus for creating tooling for the K-4.
The PRR L1 Mikado used the same boiler. That's almost two for one with exception of the mechanism and probably some othe manufacturing problems I can't even begin to think of. I believe it's time for both! Hmmm......while I'm at it, how's about an PRR M1a/b from the mountain?  ;D

thirdrail

Quote from: dtpowell on February 05, 2009, 01:48:28 PM
There is another bonus for creating tooling for the K-4.
The PRR L1 Mikado used the same boiler. That's almost two for one with exception of the mechanism and probably some othe manufacturing problems I can't even begin to think of. I believe it's time for both! Hmmm......while I'm at it, how's about an PRR M1a/b from the mountain?  ;D

Not quite the same. On all but about ten K4's, the position of the sand dome and bell on  the top of the boiler were reversed companred to the locations on the L1s Mikado. You can sacrifice a sand dome off another model and move the two, though. I did it with a MiniTrix shell on a Rivarossi Mikado chassis.

Lt Jim

I concur on BOTH the K4 AND heavyweight cars. As of now, NOBODY is making heavyweights....!

GlennW

Quote from: Williamson on February 05, 2009, 12:01:30 PM
The Minitrix K4 Pacific is long gone (and has a primitive by today's standards chassis to boot!) so yeah the market is ripe for a state of the art tooling N scale PRR K-4!

Mark

Marklin/Trix in Germany has now filed for Bankruptcy. Perhaps Bachmann could purchase & use some of the old molds? I'd like to see an upgraded little switcher.

in_eden

A heavy pacific model would have wide appeal...
Start with the K4... but basically the same model minus the Belpaire firebox could be applied to a number of other roads that used similar Pacifics based on the ALCO 55,000 prototype. Most similar is B&O's P7 class, which shares 80" drivers, height, length, and is similar in weight. The NYC, Erie, Southern, Santa Fe, Boston and Maine, New Haven, and Southern Pacific ran slightly smaller but similar designed heavy pacifics.
And since Bachmann already has the tooling for a nice C&O boiler front, the Georgionian Pacific is also a similar bioler and driver design.
So like the mountains and Consolidations, you could model easily 8 to 10 road names spanning coast to coast.
How is one of these NOT made?

1218classa

I agree with in_eden. I don't see how a loco like this could not succeed!

peterh

Yes, please I'd like a PRR K4s too. Or perhaps two...
I found interesting that it was possible to modify it for so many railroads. Had no idea about that.
I wonder if the fact that it has a Belpaire boiler will make any significant difference when it comes chosing a motor for it.  ???
Well, that's some random thoughts from Sweden.
/Peter