Main Menu

An N scale K4 in the works

Started by 1218classa, February 01, 2009, 11:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyjt

Double Yes...

Yes, Yes!   ;)

I am in for one and have DCC plug-in and

wire harness to the  tender for speaker.

I love N scale Sound.

JohnnyJT       8)
South Philly

1218classa

Sounds like there is a lot of people out there that would buy a few of these if somebody made them! I think that whomever produces this engine will be selling them like hotcakes.

cfquinlan

I would like to see the AEM 7! 

David Leonard

An AEM7 would be fine, but let's keep this thread on topic!  :)  I very much want a plastic* K4 in N scale (several of them, in fact), and Bachmann is in the best position to do it. Come on, Bachmann, get with your own program!

*"plastic" meaning ready to run. A cast metal boiler would be great.

railspike55

I dont get to post here much, but seeing this thread had to...

Yes Please make a Pacific and any Pacific... K4, USRA or other wise.

I have a vary aging fleet of 7  RR that need to put to rest.

If they can be made as well as the J  I'd be in for at least 7.

By the way thanks for the Heavy Mountain, great looking and running.

Ron N.

a 2-6-6-2T  would also be well excepted.

in_eden

I think I am willing to walk the distance between Baltimore and the bachmann HQ in Philadelphia on my KNEES if they'll make a K4... and maybe expand that into a USRA high headlight HEAVY pacific (i.e. B&O, AT&SF...)
Precision Craft blew it by starting with the M1a Mountain. They should have started with a more universal design... and given the fact that Bachmann had beat them to the punch with an outstanding DCC equipped Heavy Mountain.
There are a couple threads on the Atlas fourm where people are kitbashing things to come up with a K4...
Who ever finally makes a great heavy pacific model will do very well.
Model Power is doing well with their average light pacific model...
Keeping fingers crossed...

1218classa

All right, Bachmann. This post has only been here for a month and we have five hundred hits on it already. That's got to show some interest in this subject. People are looking for this engine!

David Leonard

I don't want to badger Bachmann about this, but I'm getting old and I'd like a few years' enjoyment of some N scale K4s's. To add a bit more "sales pitch" I just point out that one K4s (r/n 5409) was painted Tuscan Red for a few months in 1929. That's outside most modelers' eras, but I bet some folks would buy one just for the joy of it.

Since the K4s's often ran double headed, there would be more of a demand for these things than most single steam locomotive models. The success of Athearn's Big Boy (which in real life only operated in a specific region--and only on UP) should be a good indicator that a K4s would sell well. And if Bachmann offered a non-Belpair boiler version (with, say, a medium or large USRA tender) they could probably get away with other road names.

jwoj69

OK DACHMANN HAS 4-8-4 AND J CLASS. HOW ABOUT SEMI STREMLINERS (MODEL POER HAS LINE CALLED SEMI STREAMLINERS) PROTOTYPES. AND BULLET TRAINS. I THINK FEW DETAILS, NEW TENDERS AND PAINTING, AND THIS COULD BE BIGGER THAN KATO, CONCOR, MODELPOWER ALLTOGETHER. SO MISTER BACHMANN DO YOU HAVE MAXI TO THINK BIG?
YES THIS COULD BE BIGGEST LINE IN THE WORLD. THINK ABOUT ALL THE JEMS WE COULD KITBASH FROM THAT SELECTIN. MAYBE KATO WOULD START BUYING BACHMANNS ENGINES?
JACK

1218classa

Also the N&W bought five PRR K3s. I don't exactly know what the differences were between these and the K4s but it probably isn't much. That would give another legitimate road name to use on these engines if they ever produce them.

in_eden

It's truly madness that no one in N scale produces a K4. In HO several manufacturers make the K4 in pre and post war variants.
If I were Bachmann I'd jump on it before Mike's Train House decides to get into the N scale market!

If model power can make the pacific that they did, there is no doubt that Bachmann could make a very nice well running model. (don't forget the tire)

...and the Heavy Pacific with a high headlight would be very VERY wanted in many roads... as would a center headlight.

Do it. Please?

thirdrail

Quote from: 1218classa on March 09, 2009, 09:05:00 PM
Also the N&W bought five PRR K3s. I don't exactly know what the differences were between these and the K4s but it probably isn't much. That would give another legitimate road name to use on these engines if they ever produce them.

There is a considerable difference between K3's and K4's. Aside from the details, cab, trailing truck, valve gear, etc., there was a BIG difference in weight and horsepower. While both had 80" drivers, the K4s was a far more powerful engine. The difference in size of the firebox and its Belpaire portion is quite noticeable.

in_eden

There are differences between lots of "heavy" pacifics... but I'm willing to make some concessions. The more discriminating modeler can kitbash to make it perfect...
I know that in the 20's through the early 50's, A LOT of roads used big pretty pacifics to pull trains. Here in the Mid Atlantic region, B&O, PRR, C&O, Reading, and Southern all used 4-6-2's. AT&SF, Southern Pacific each used them... They could all be reasonably be accomodated by one basic model with model specific smoke boxes and the Belpaire firebox on the K4.

...I mean... at least Con-Cor makes their <highly> outdated Hudson model... The Berkshire has just been done very well... Kato hit a home-run with the Daylight... Mikado's are well done by Kato and Model Power... but the MP pacific is nowhere near the level of front line passenger locomotive that the K4 is... or the B&O P7.
I have no doubt what-so-ever that a Heavy Pacific model would dwarf the success of the Heavy Mountain. Probably the 2-8-0 as well.

Frisco

Any pacific would be great. I would really like to see a Southern Pacific P-8 class locomotive but any would work for me.

1218classa

You're right, thirdrail. I was kinda hoping that they were similar enough to make another possible roadname for whomever produces this model. I personaly would probably buy an undec. version and try to modify the engine as best I could and change the tender to something more like the N&W used on them. Whatever the outcome, I would still buy several of them.