Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

An N scale K4 in the works

Started by 1218classa, February 01, 2009, 11:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric220

Quote from: in_eden on August 07, 2009, 10:05:25 PM
Eric...
How do you join the Atlas forum? I've tried about a thousand times, and no matter how I enable cookies, I never get a reply from the moderator! He probably thinks I'm stalking him!

Every time I walk passed the HO display case at my local hobby shop I have to pause and shed a mournful tear as I look at the line-up of locos... It's just not fair!

As to the second part, I agree.  I wish someone would do in N scale what BLI did in HO a few years ago: start rolling accurately modeled, road-specific steam with sound and DCC, and watch the orders roll in.  Even if we have to pay a bit of a premium, I'm sure N scalers would be willing to reward any company that did.  I can vouch for one!  (Well, at least for PRR prototypes.)

As for the Atlas boards, I had the same problem, until I finally discovered that my email client was marking the replies as junk mail.  Try contacting the moderators directly over email (not through the signup procedure).  That's how I finally got it sorted out.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

heintz

And if you bother to make those why not a fully shrouded #3768?

Quote from: David Leonard on July 07, 2009, 08:49:55 AM
Time to bump this topic back to page 1. Some of us really want a PRR K4s--prewar and postwar versions. We have the GG1 (Kato), we have the Big Boy and Challenger (Athearn), we have the SP GS4. We have some diesel models of locos that only a handful of proto railroads ever owned (SD26, DL109, etc). It's time for a PRR K4s (Bachmann)!

inkaneer

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 03, 2009, 12:23:39 AM
Dear 1218,
You've already done so- and I've passed along the request!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

With Kato releasing the PRR Broadway Limited train in Nsscale along with the GG1 and new issue of the E8's the only thing missing is a PRR K4 pacific and possibly an M1a/b Mountain type.  Since Bachmann already has a heavy Mountain out I doubt if you would consider doing another.  But a K4 would really fill a big gap.   There are a lot of PRR passenger cars out there both modern as well as heavyweight that could use a K4 to make a complete PRR passenger train .

eric220

This topic came up over on the Atlas forum the other day.  I've noticed that it tends to crop up on a fairly regular basis all over the internet.  Back to the original question, who's going to be the manufacturer to take finally recognize the demand and provide the supply?
-Eric

in_eden

The topic of an N scale K4 has been brought up on pretty much every n scale forum I've seen. There is definitely a demand for someone to make it.
People are clamoring for the 30 year old Trix model... what does that tell you?
I can't understand how one is not made... or a ALCO 55,000 prototype based heavy pacific (PRR added the Belpaire firebox, but about 15 roads used Pacifics based on the same model).
The heavy pacific was the mainstay passenger power for nearly every road in existence until the 4-8-4 was introduced in the late 40's. With the K4 as a lead, a smart manufacturer could make similar models using the same basic shell and running gear for PRR, B&O, NYC, Reading, Erie, Southern, Southern Pacific, AT&SF, Katy, Canadian Pacific...
with little variations they could be very road specific... headlight placement, steam pumps...
I'm personally dying for a K4 and a B&O P7.
I'll buy several of each as soon as anyone makes them.
Please?

eric220

I'm bumping this thread back to page 1.  I think we need to keep it alive and in the front of the Bach-man's mind.

Pretty please?
-Eric

in_eden

I'll buy at least 2.
If Bachmann (or anyone else for that matter) ever makes a B&O heavy pacific, I'm in for 4. Plus the pair of K4's...
So that's 6 for me!

dtpowell

Gotta add my two cents in here again too. Put me down for a couple of K4's! Plus, if Bachmann wouldn't mind, a L1 Mikado too. The boiler can be used for both. That's what the Pennsy intended...Two loco's for the price of the tooling for the boiler of one! Sounds like a good deal to me.

David Leonard

The L1 and K4 boilers are not exactly the same. They have the same dimensions, and the steam dome appears to be the same, but the sand dome and piping are not identical. These are minor points as far as tooling goes, I suppose, but the mechanism and tender would have to be new and different.

Whatever, let's get some K4's soon! They often ran doubleheaded, so some of us will need plenty of them! There are prewar and postwar versions, different tenders, paint schemes (including one Tuscan) and eras. Lines West had headlights in the middle of the smokebox in the 20's. There are other variations as well, so Bachmann could sell many of these. I'd say that it's a "no-brainer" except that Bachmann does have brains. I expect an announcement this year!!

in_eden

you have to believe that a K4 would be equally big a seller as the N&W J or Kato's SP Daylight... or the GG1 for that matter. Kato makes the beautiful broadway limited set... that must be selling well (there are now 3 different GG1s and a set of E8's for it from Kato alone!).
I'm sure everyone that bought that will snatch up a K4 as soon as one is available!
Options are great once a heavy pacific running gear is produced...
steamlined... pre war... post war...
plus pretty much every road had a heavy pacific.
It's going to happen...
The question is when and by who.

in_eden

This discussion (idea) has entered the Atlas N scale fourm... and everyone is saying that BACHMANN should make a K4.
Seems logical.
Someone has to make one... and with the # of sales, it can't be a profit question... I mean how much could tooling cost?

dtpowell

The toy show is happing soon. Maybe we'll get lucky this year and we'll get that elusive K-4 from someone. It's about for some new steam in N scale. The cab forward is out I believe and I'm thrilled about Fox Valley's 1935 Hiawatha coming in July. The K-4 can't be too far away. There are too-o-o many of us out there wantin' it.

in_eden

You would think that if something as road-specific as the Hiawatha, or the Daylight, or GG1, or Cab Forward, or N&W J would fly, then a K4 should be at least equally as profitable.
Expanding upon that... how about a heavy pacific? sure the K4 has a Belpaire firebox... but minus that and with boiler fronts with high and center mount lights a manufacturer could make very similar Heavy Pacifics in about 15 major US roads.
Starting with a K4 would seem a no brainer.
You'd think that certain models would be a given-
We've got the N&W J, Daylight, Big Boy, and the Van Sweringen Berkshire...
But where is the K4?
Modern NYC Hudson?
How about an Allegheny?
Reading T1?
B&O President?

They're finally getting good at N scale steam...
Time to start producing it!

dtpowell

In_eden,

I may be starting false rumour, but I thought I heard someone was planning to make the C&O Allegheny. I don't know who though. I hope I'm correct.

I'd like to add the PRR M1 to your great list of loco's. I would love to have in N scale.  Bachmann makes the heavy Mountain already. So, why not?

One thing is certain. All the loco's in your list are popular and sell well in the larger scales. There is no reason for them not to do the same in N. Particularly the K4.

in_eden

Broadway Limited has had a PRR M1a "in the works" for a couple of years now. Every once in a while the threaten us with actually making the damn thing (I have two reserved) but most of us believe that it will never happen.
Fox Valley Models just announced a 4-4-2 led Hiawatha train set...
If a road specific loco and cars such as the Atlantic version Hiawatha set is produced, and sold for only $300 for loco and 6 cars... how has no one taken a chance on a K4? Or any heavy pacific for that matter?

Go visit www.steamlocomotive.com and look up the pacific wheel arraingment...
MANY roads ran 4-6-2's derrived from the ALCO 50,000 prototype.
Erie ran the actual prototype.
Notable pacifics derrived from this loco-
B&O P7
ATSF 3400 class
Boston and Maine
C&O F19 (George Washington)
NYC K3
Southern Pacific - some were "Daylightized" with skyline castings
PRR K4

I don't get it.

I'd love to see an Allegheney too.