News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

An N scale K4 in the works

Started by 1218classa, February 01, 2009, 11:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkaneer

If anyone, including Bachmann makes the K4 Please do it without the traction tires if at all possible.  A cast metal shell as in the Model Power FP7's could add the necessary weight without the need for traction tires for most people.  Separate traction tire equipped drivers could be an option for those who would want them.  A K4 would be a real winner especially as others have pointed out the Kato Broadway Limited car sets and all the vintage Atlas, Rivarossi, Lima, Model Power, etc. heavy weight PRR cars that are out there.  Those Broadway Limited car sets alone spawned three runs of a GG1 and another run of PRR E8's on top of about two or three prior runs of PRR E8's. 

And one more thing.  Bachmann produced a great 2-8-0 consolidation.  That mechanism could, with a different shell, make a PRR H series 2-8-0.  The PRR 2-8-0's lasted till the end of steam and then soldiered on in numerous short lines and regional RR's till they just wore out. 

Williamson

I'd like to see a new K4 in scale too. 8)

But, ya know the Broadway Limited Kato did was from 1949, well past the point where you'd see steam on it.

dtpowell

Quote from: inkaneer on March 21, 2010, 03:15:52 PM
If anyone, including Bachmann makes the K4 Please do it without the traction tires if at all possible.  A cast metal shell as in the Model Power FP7's could add the necessary weight without the need for traction tires for most people.  Separate traction tire equipped drivers could be an option for those who would want them.  A K4 would be a real winner especially as others have pointed out the Kato Broadway Limited car sets and all the vintage Atlas, Rivarossi, Lima, Model Power, etc. heavy weight PRR cars that are out there.  Those Broadway Limited car sets alone spawned three runs of a GG1 and another run of PRR E8's on top of about two or three prior runs of PRR E8's. 

And one more thing.  Bachmann produced a great 2-8-0 consolidation.  That mechanism could, with a different shell, make a PRR H series 2-8-0.  The PRR 2-8-0's lasted till the end of steam and then soldiered on in numerous short lines and regional RR's till they just wore out. 

inkaneer,

I disagree with you on the traction tires. I have several Model Power steamloco's and they wouldn't pull much of anything until I switched out one of the drivers with the traction tire equipt ones I got to retorfit them from Model Power.
No matter what Bachmann may add to their steam locomotive line this year. I want them with traction tires.

2-8-8-0

The huge void in the current selection of steam is puzzling.

A K4 and a generic heavy pacific (think B&Os P1 family) would both be welcome, and as the only models of either are long discontinued (and fairly poor) in the K4s case, and the Model Power so-so pacific, they would sell like beer at a nascar race. For the love of god, no streamlined blue pacifics please...

There are only two 2-8-2s, model power's and katos, and with kato's "we will produce it when are good and ready to make 10 or so" attitude, the void here is screaming to be filled; once again, a Pennsy L1 and a more ambiguous model (everyone and their brother had a fleet of mikes) Im sure the bean counters at Bachmann can figure the rest out.

A 10 coupled something, either a big 2-10-2 (B&O S1) and/or a PRR 2-10-0. Between the two, they represent several hundred engines on two of the biggest roads in the country.

If I got to choose, i would want the pacific first, 10 coupled loco second, mike third, but these three would sure put Bachmann even farther ahead in the steam department.

The C&O 2-6-6-2s, the 2-8-0, and the C&O 4-8-2 are a great leap into serious steam. Keep going guys, round the lineup out! EDIT. AND KEEP THEM IN PRODUCTION.

PS. Add a 0-8-0 someday so i dont have to ever give walthers a dime kthx.

Hunt Tower

Everyone discusses the need for the K4 and are eager to have a model which seems to fall on deaf ears. How many modellers would be prepared to assemble a high quality kit of the locomotive in two or three variants. Maybe you are looking in the wrong area for the model manufacturer.

smokin and steam around

Hunt Tower

eric220

Kato announced K4's this morning!
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

in_eden

Not funny man. Not funny.
I hate april first.

Is an N scale K4 really that much to ask?

eric220

Quote from: in_eden on April 02, 2010, 02:07:13 PM
Not funny man. Not funny.
I hate april first.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.   ;D
-Eric

peterh

How I wish for Bachmann to make a PRR K4s.
I sold my car this weekend so please make a K4s so I can spend the money ;D
I think that a K4s with lots of pulling power would come in handy.
/Peter

inkaneer

A true story that happened a few years ago.  A fellow model Railroad club member of mine was really into European trains.  The one locomotive that he wanted but for one reason or another never acquired was the German 'Krocodile' (SP?).  Finally, after years of waiting He was able to order one from a new batch to be made in six months time.  He wa beside himself waiting for that engine to arrive.   His engine came the very day of his viewing at the funeral home.   It made for a very rough time for us knowing how much he wanted that engine and seeing it in his casket with him.  He was buried with the engine he loved.   I really do hope that someone makes a K4.  I would like to run it then give it to my grandkids.

dtpowell

inkaneer,

I was think the same thing this AM after reading the new product announcements in Model Railroader.Unless someone else produces the K4. it will be another year before we can hope to see it. And yes, sadly there will probably be some of us who will never see a decent K4 in N scale. Bachmann is missing out.

eric220

I'm 30 and I'm starting to wonder if I'll be in that group...

For all everyone has said on the subject, I keep coming back to a couple of points.

• Trix made a successful model of a K4 many, many years ago.
  • Kato makes a very nice mikado that is the same general size as the K4.
  • The K4 is one of the most popular steamers out there.
  • It's hard to go to an N-scale forum on the internet and NOT find a thread asking, "where are the friggin' K4's?"

It is certainly technically possible to build a mechanism with sufficient weight to make a very successful model of this locomotive.  By all indications, there is a LOT of pent-up demand, so sales should be fairly strong.

Where are the friggin' K4's?

Hint to the Bach Man - The Minitrix K4's tender is almost EXACTLY the same size as a 44 tonner...
-Eric

in_eden

Well... we got the 4- and the 6-...
now just change that 0 to a 2...
4-6-2

It would have to happen wouldn't it?
Too bad for Kato that they put out the later era Broadway set... they would have sold a far greater # had the train had the option of being headed by a K4.
Oh, and someone actually produced one.

It's bound to happen.
I guess I'll have to continue to be happy bashing a Model Power pacific into what I'm looking for.
(which is late-40's era PRR K4 and B&O P7)

David Leonard

OK, Bachmann, here's the deal. You make a very good K4 in HO scale, but you perhaps think sales in N scale wouldn't support an N version. But note that in HO scale there are at least 4 manufacturers who have produced or currently produce K4 models (Bachmann, MTH, BLI and Bowser). The Trix N model is way out of date and not very good in terms of detail. Forget it as far as competition goes. The field is wide open for you! Almost every modeler who would buy a K4 would buy two, since they often ran double-headed. With a diecast boiler (maybe with separately applied Belpaire firebox?), traction tire and all wheel pickup, there's no way this thing would fail anyone's performance test.

eric220

Quote from: David Leonard on July 23, 2010, 09:21:16 AM
OK, Bachmann, here's the deal. You make a very good K4 in HO scale, but you perhaps think sales in N scale wouldn't support an N version. But note that in HO scale there are at least 4 manufacturers who have produced or currently produce K4 models (Bachmann, MTH, BLI and Bowser). The Trix N model is way out of date and not very good in terms of detail. Forget it as far as competition goes. The field is wide open for you! Almost every modeler who would buy a K4 would buy two, since they often ran double-headed. With a diecast boiler (maybe with separately applied Belpaire firebox?), traction tire and all wheel pickup, there's no way this thing would fail anyone's performance test.

Second!
-Eric