News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rivarossi Cab Forward

Started by jonjdurkin, February 01, 2009, 05:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonjdurkin

I am having a problem with my Ebay Riv CF. She runs just fine forward and reverse as long as both driver sets are straight, but can't go around a curve (22" radius ez track)at all. She stops as soon as her front drivers hit the curve. Is the front set of drivers supposed to swivel or are they supposed to be fixed and only the rear set swivel?. Anyone had a similar problem?

Michael J. Caboose

I have a Rivarossi Big Boy, maybe I can help. But I've never encountered this problem before.

Since this is a plastic articulated, both sets of drivers should swivel to go around tight curves easily. I would take the model on a flat table surface and swivel the engines by hand, see if they get caught up on anything.

If that doesn't help come to any conclusions, try some bigger curves. Yes, it is suppose to be able to go around as tight as 18" but it doesn't mean it should be run on those. Try a 24" or anything wider if you can. Good luck!

MJC

Barney R

Hello jonjdurkin - I have a Riv CF and my layout is 18". The cab forward can negotiate the the layout just fine. I check mine and both sets of drivers swivel. I hope this helps.

Barney

Rlfbeadle

I have a Rivarossi 2-8-8-0 that runs great even on 18" curves.  Since it is a similar locomotive with two sets of drivers, they do swivel and should freely.  Check that there are no loose connections, since the drivers are electrical pickups, that may be shorting on the driver frame.  Do you still have the original motor in this engine?  If not, what did you change it to.  I would like to remotor mine so I can run it on DCC smoothly.

Ralph
Harley/Trainman

Barney R

Hello Again jonjdurkin - Well that is two of us who  have Rivarossi's that will negotiate 18" layout.  Your unit is either binding because of lack of swivelling motion or shorting out. Please let us know what you find.

Ralph-
I just a DCC decoder in a vintage Rivarossi Heavy Pacific. I didnot change the motor. The old motor works fine. You must isolate the motor, but it is very usable in the DCC world. I installed the decoder in the Tender. If you are interested in how I did it and what I used, e-mail me off line and I will share.

Barney