Pics from my former "1800's" layout-in-progress

Started by Terry Toenges, February 02, 2009, 12:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

A few pics from my old 1800's layout might give someone some ideas -

The loco "reunion"

Feel like a Mogul.

Casy jHOnes

Whow - How steep is that grade in the background! Or is that just the photo angle? I thought I had some steep grades. Looks cool.

Tylerf

pcctrolleyII

PCC trolleys for life.

ta152h0

CNE Runner

Great pictures Terry. It would seem that you have a lot of rolling stock and engines (I guess there is never a problem with motive power on the extra board.). I especially liked the black & white pictures that made the scene appear as if it were photographed in the 19th century. Thanks for sharing these images with us.

Get 'em rolling,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Terry Toenges

The grade in the background is 4%. It went to an oval on top. I had it set up so I could run 3 trains continuously on three separate ovals.
Here's the site with more pics of various stages of it.
http://www.sarget.com/lipdex.html
I wish I would have more B/W pics. They do look cool.
Feel like a Mogul.

CNE Runner

Terry, you could just adjust the color level with your photo software. I use Canon's Zoombrowser and have converted several images from color to black and white - or even better sepia (slightly yellowish or golden tone). If you have the bucks, there is always Adobe Photoshop...of course that would take some much needed funds away from your layout efforts. I am trying to figure out how to post pictures on this forum as I do occasionally on the MR forum (same screen name BTW).

Gosh...a 4% grade? You must have some "mondo" traction tires or run very short trains to be able to climb that hill. Terry, I just know you love steep grades, geared engines and logging! Of course there is always cog railroading or a funicular railway up one of the walls...just a thought (OK...I'm kidding).

Ray

CNE Runner

Terry, I searched the "Help" section and couldn't find the procedure for posting pictures on the forum. Since you are obviously successful in this endeavor...would you tell me/us how it is accomplished?

Many thanks,
Ray

Terry Toenges

Ray - I just ran Bachman 4-4-0's and a (Lifelike?) 0-4-0 on the upper levels. One end had a loop and the other end had an over and under loop. I could go up and down to the main level, too. I just never got around to all the scenicking and bridge building before I changed it.
It might have been 3% grade. I don't remember to be honest. I know it wasn't taller than 4%.

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

To post an image -
If I take this pic (http://www.sarget.com/pxmas02-4.jpg) and put image tags around it, it will show up. To put image tages, click on the second box above (the square with the pic). It will come up with  (Dashes added. Remove the dashes.) Just insert the address of the pic below between the image tags
Like this without the dashes -
[-i-m-g-]http://www.sarget.com/pxmas02-4.jpg[-/-i-m-g-]
Here's the pic -
Feel like a Mogul.

CNE Runner

This is an image of the roundhouse I recently finished. You can see my two American 4-4-0s as well as the ice that seems to form in front of the building (OK...actually the glass top of our deck table).

Holy mackerel...your excellent directions worked!! Now I am just a little smarter...scary.

Thanks,
Ray

Green Diamond

What are you planing for the mountain? A lush green area or the opposite? Please feedback, I would love to hear about your layout. I have more questions. Such as:

• What railroad are you operating?
  • Where did you obtain the trestles?

So far, I say your doing it very good. I look forward to updates.

CNE Runner,
Is your roundhouse scratch-built, kit-bashed, or is it a kit? Please feedback.

Sincerely,
Green Diamond.
Illinois Central -- Green Diamond

Tylerf

I think the Christmas tree is a little out of scale:)

CNE Runner

"CNE Runner,
Is your roundhouse scratch-built, kit-bashed, or is it a kit? Please feedback."

Hi Green Diamond...first things first: are you any relation to the Green Hornet? Just kidding.

The basic roundhouse is a Faller product - but that is all. Most of the structure was kitbashed (the old brick walls have an overlay of Paper Creek weathered siding, strip wood added to overlay the brick palisters, etc.). The interior is detailed with scribed wooden flooring (there is even a chess game in progress). The slate shingles are from Micro Mark (Northeastern?). The only thing that was used, from the kit, was the basic structure...and that was done because I couldn't find a 3-stall 19th century roundhouse in a craftsman kit (all the offerings were from a later time period). While I am pleased at the outcome of this structure, it takes up too much real estate on my 30"x 12' layout and will be replaced by the Branchline Laser-Art single stall enginehouse.

Thanks for asking! I only included that image to see if I could follow Terry's image-insertion directions correctly. Terry, I noticed a couple of [circus?] wagons...neat! I still have about 10 wagons/teams to paint and assemble (someday). If you need a supplier for 19th century figures and wagons try www.musketminiatures.com - who produce some outstanding cast metal items. Jordan also produces some nice horse and wagon combinations but they are plastic.

Ray