News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD BL2

Started by 9911A E5, February 02, 2009, 09:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9911A E5

Where the EMD BL2s very popular locomotives in the switching and mainline operations?

9911A E5

Conrail Quality

No, not really. The visibility and ease of maintenance were slightly better than the F units, but they were vastly inferior in those regards to locomotives like the Alco RS-1, which EMD later copied to make the GP-7. Basically, they were an awkward and mostly unloved transition locomotive.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

RAM

no.  Only 58 were made, and only 9 railroads got them.  Production only lasted 13 months.

Santa Fe buff

I would like an HO scale one... Perhaps in Monon.

I see passengers. Perhaps small branch lines?

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

That isn't an original picture of it in Revenue Service.
B&M used them in commuter service on occasion, as well as freight service, however they greatly favored the RS3's and GP7/9's. The BL-2's were used as trade ins for GP18's only 10 years after being built.
Alex

RAM

Santa Fe Buff, like life made one.  They were on sale for a long time.  I don't think anyone else will make one.  I have alway wondered if the Santa Fe had gotten some, how would they paint them.  Would it be blue and yellow as a road unit, or black and white as a switch engine. 

wade

The Western Maryland had two BL-2s. They kept them until after the Chessie merger. Most of their career they were tied to a slug unit for hump service. The BL-2s were found to have weak frames so that if ever used in consist they would be on the head end. Both Wesrern Maryland BL-2s were saved. One is in the B&O Museum and one is running in Elkins, WV .
  I'm sure you can find one on e-bay under Proto 2000.
       Wade
Wade

ebtnut

Per Wade's response, look for the Proto2000 model.  It is much better detailed and runs much better than the old Life-Like version.

Santa Fe buff

RAM,
If you ask me, I would guess in the blue/yellow frieght scheme, or unless it was passenger based, which is unlikely. The Santa Fe favored early E units and F units.
This is the scheme I'm talking about:

http://www.tomstracksidetrains.com/atsf2138.jpg
Or this one with the yellow nose logo instead of the yellow nose and ATSF cross-circle logo.
http://atsf.railfan.net/atsfpres/sf5945BARSTOW5-72motis.jpg

SOURCES:
www.tomstracksidetrains.com/aaatomsnscale.htm
www.atsf.railfan.net/atsfpres/atsf95.html

- Joshua Bauer

jayl1

Quote from: ebtnut on February 03, 2009, 03:10:16 PM
Per Wade's response, look for the Proto2000 model.  It is much better detailed and runs much better than the old Life-Like version.

Lifelike did make the Proto 2000 BL2s before the Walthers takeover.

AHM - Associated Hobby Manufacturers (now IHC) did a BL2 many years ago.  This didn't have the detail or operations quality of the Proto unit.

9911A E5

Thanks for the facts everybody.

9911A E5

Santa Fe buff

Looky,
If found a Life-Like Proto 2000 BL-2 for Monon:

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

BillD53A

The letters 'BL' stood for branch line.  Internally the loco was the same as an F3.  It had better visibility, and did not have to be turned around at the end of a branch.  The body offered the same access problems, for maintenance, as an F unit.  The access problems were solved by the GP7's hood design.

Green Diamond

With that in mind, it's really surprising not many were drawn to the locomotive. I think it was the body design. Trust me, I'll take a nice looking F unit over a BL-2 any day.

Sincerely,
Green Diamond
Illinois Central -- Green Diamond

pdlethbridge

What intrigues me is that the BL 2 was a low hood design and had a full, across body window that was not carried over immediately in the geeps that replaced it.