News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD BL2

Started by 9911A E5, February 02, 2009, 09:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

I think part of the reason the BL-2 wasn't popular was that they suffered from weak frames.  The WM originally used theirs in road service, but they developed frame cracks which probably led to their demotion to yard service.  The F-unit carbody was a part of the structural integrity of the unit.  The Geeps had a "body on frame" design (hello, GM) wherein the hoods were simply to protect the engine components.  Some wags have referred to the BL-2's as "F-units with chain guards".

RAM

The GPs needed a place for the steam generator.  They is why the high hood.

1shado1

Quote from: RAM on February 06, 2009, 01:22:15 PM
The GPs needed a place for the steam generator.  They is why the high hood.

If I recall correctly, the BL2 was available with a steam generator for passenger service.  Not knowing much about such things, any idea why the BL2 didn't need a high hood to accomodate one?

RAM

You recalled correctly, the BL2 was available with a steam generator for passenger service.  The BL2 was built like the F-units with a wide body, and had room for a steam generator. I also think it was longer than the GPs.

Stephen D. Richards

I had the fortune of a cab ride in #82 with the West Virginia Centril Railroad this past summer. (plus a few other amenities we won't mention)  You can move about the engine compartment very much like the F units and the BL2 #82 does have a steam generator although not used much.  They use it for road service for both passenger and freight.  In the winter they also use it in the Belington Yard for switching.  If they do any switching here in Elkins Yard (which they do by the way) then they use the BL2 along with one or two of the FP7 units do to the altitude they have to pull any rolling stock with.  By the way, if anyone is interested, the WVC has the only FP7 ABA MU that they know of!  Just a little FYI.  Stephen