News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Specific Roadbed & Source & Track screws?

Started by Casy jHOnes, February 03, 2009, 05:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Casy jHOnes

I thought I could simply grab some roadbed at local shop but its too thin (3/16?). Is there a certain type that works best for Atlas "Patches" between  E Z track and where do you buy it online?

ALSO - I know this will be sacrelage but has anyone ever tried screws (maybe tiny sq. drives) to anchor track? I'm not that concerned with how it looks just can't see pounding nails in bouncy plywood.

grumpy

ta152h0

I bought screws from

http://www.trainaidsa.com/

works great and require small phillips driver ( a plus in my book )

Eryalen

Quote from: Casy jHOnes on February 03, 2009, 05:40:49 PM
I thought I could simply grab some roadbed at local shop but its too thin (3/16?). Is there a certain type that works best for Atlas "Patches" between  E Z track and where do you buy it online?

ALSO - I know this will be sacrelage but has anyone ever tried screws (maybe tiny sq. drives) to anchor track? I'm not that concerned with how it looks just can't see pounding nails in bouncy plywood.
I use MDF for the layout. I like to drill holes the same size as nails and just push the nails in with a nail set. You may have to play with the drill size to get a fit you like in plywood.

barrowsr

Casy,

If the plywood bounces too much to get the tiny track nails driven consider bracing the benchwork.  Another solution is to have a third hand hold a heavy hammer or other weighty item directly under the plywood while you're driving the nail.  Many folks using cork or MDF roadbed use a simple nail pusher tool.  If you're affixing track directly to plywood the layout will be noisy but perhaps not objectionally so.

Good luck,

Robin

grumpy

MDF is not a good material for a layout base because it has no structural strength Unless you support quite considerably it will  sag . It will also absorb water if in a humid place . It's main purpose in life is for the mfg of inexpensive cabinets.
Don :(

Eryalen