Installing a MRC Sheer Briliance Sound Decoder in the Bachman Forney

Started by Trainhobbies, February 03, 2009, 11:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainhobbies

I recently bought a Bachman Forney with regular DCC but I want to install a MRC Sheer Briliance Sound Decoder with a 8 pin connector and with a 28mm speaker.  Can someone tell me how to swap out the regular DCC with my new MRC Sheer Briliance Sound Decoder?   Its my first experience with DCC and don't want to screw anything up.   

Hunt

An aside.
Double check, is there a MRC Sheer Brilliance sound decoder with proper sounds for the Forney 2-4-4?

Check with SoundTraxx for the availability of sound decoder for the Forney 2-4-4. Know they provided the sounds for the Bachmann model but I don't recall if they have made one available for separate purchase in their Tsunami line.

jestor

Just remove the coal load and you'll see the decoder plug(it's the square plug with 8 wires going to it). Hold the MRC plug in the same orientation beside the Bachmann plug and see if the orange wire is on the same side; it should be on the lower left. I assume you have the #1656 Sheer Brillance Steam decoder. The reason I'm suggesting this check of wires is because I received a #1656 Sheer Brillance decoder that had the orange wire on the wrong side, so it would not work in the Bachmann socket as the orange wire MUST go to pin # 1. Maybe I just received the only wrongly wired sample ever produced. After rewiring it the engine ran, but not up my exspectations because the #1656 decoder did not have the Back EMF technology.  At any rate, if the wires match up, all you do is remove the Bachmann plug and plug in the MRC plug, place the speaker in the space provided, and you're in business.

finderskeepers

Don't know where he gets his information from, but the current sheer brilliance decoders DO have back-emf, all you have to do is enter 1 into CV 123, and no, they are not wired backwards. This is for the new 1823 decoder, not the earlier 1629 decoders.

jestor

Quote from: finderskeepers on February 04, 2009, 03:49:23 PM
Don't know where he gets his information from, but the current sheer brilliance decoders DO have back-emf, all you have to do is enter 1 into CV 123, and no, they are not wired backwards. This is for the new 1823 decoder, not the earlier 1629 decoders.
Just checked the MRC web site and could not find a #1823 listed. The #1629 was listed as standard HO Steam Decder. The #1656 Sheer Brillance Steam Decoder no longer listed. Most 1800 series were HO drop-in type except for a couple of G/O Universal decoders without plugs. Some #1656 Sheer Brillance Steam decoders are still available on E Bay sites. If you look carefully at the picture of the decoder, you will see the orange wire is on the right side instead of the left side, where it needs to be in order to plug into the Bachmann socket. The MRC decoder I received for my testing had the orange wire on the wrong side. If you want a premium quality decoder with all the LATEST technology AND a MNRA 8-pin plug attached to ALL their decoders(plug and play) ESU LOK is my recommendation. It might help this debate to know which Sheer Brillance decoder he has. My info comes from studying Manufacturer web sites, then trying their product if it appears that it suits my needs. If there is some newer model replacing the #1656 it is not shown on their web site.

jestor

Quote from: Hunt on February 04, 2009, 12:46:47 AM
An aside.
Double check, is there a MRC Sheer Brilliance sound decoder with proper sounds for the Forney 2-4-4?

Check with SoundTraxx for the availability of sound decoder for the Forney 2-4-4. Know they provided the sounds for the Bachmann model but I don't recall if they have made one available for separate purchase in their Tsunami line.

According to the Soundtrax website, they just list light, medium, heavy, and light logging sounds. I didn't see anything special for Forney but I suppose the light steam might be useful. As far as I know, Soundtrax does not supply their decoders with the MNRA plug, so soldering of teeny tiny wires is required. A newcomer to ON-30 may find this a challenge.

finderskeepers

the 1629 steam decoder was and still is a first generation steam sound decoder.

the sheer brilliance steam decoders, 0001630 and 0001656 are going to be discontinued.

our newest steam decoder is the 0001823 sheer brilliance decoder, this decoder has improved motor control and back emf, plus has many chuffs, whistles and bells to choose from.

it also incorporates CV 65- kick Start and CV's 67 to 94 for setting up custom speed tables.

Frank-Model Rectifier