News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track and EZ Command for new layout

Started by Old Jedi, February 04, 2009, 01:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Jedi

I am happy to hear about the turnouts' reliability.  I ordered my track from Discount Trains, and am waiting anxiously.  I got 10 switches, about half #4 and half #6.  I went with the Prodigy Advance system mainly because it will allow me to create routes, and pre-program the turnouts to work together.  I can't wait!  I just got some trains via UPS, and now I need the layout!   ;)
Glenn

Fear is a path to the Dark Side:  Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, and Hate leads to Suffering.
---Yoda, Jedi Master, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

steveeusd

Old Jedi--

My entire layout comprises Bachmann's EZ track, DDC #5 turnouts and #6 crossovers, and EZ command control system (and a companion control center).  I've used Bachmann's system about 2 years.  Overall, the system has worked well, especially considering I run my HO scale trains the Japanese way (i.e., temporarily on the floor because I have no room for a permanent layout in my condo).  Use of DCC  (I only have one wire to connect to the layout), and 3 ft straight sections make set-up and tear-down easy.  I run 2-3 trains simultaneously with the 1 amp EZ command system and have noticed little decrement in running trains.  Locos with sound work well, but are limited, under the EZ command system.   I've had some problems with switches in the past, but their replacements have performed flawlessly.  The major downside I see is Bachmann's exorbitant retail prices.  This is easily cured by surfing the net.   

Good luck on your decision.

Steve           

Robertj668

Old jedi
I am curious about the prodigy system and doing reserch now but when you said that the Prodigy Advance system can program routes. If you set up a route do the switches change automatically?  Can the system then hault other trains to give way for that train.  I am curious andn on the site now.  it looks really cool.

Old Jedi

Bob,

I'm still a newbie but my understanding is that when you select a route all of the switches change automatically.  As for stopping the other trains, I'm pretty sure you can do that but you need some additional components to detect the other train.  Tony's Trains is a good source for info and components needed.  They also have a great price on the Prodigy Advance 2.  UPS is delivering my benchwork and Prodigy today!  I have a great week to look forward to.
Glenn

Fear is a path to the Dark Side:  Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, and Hate leads to Suffering.
---Yoda, Jedi Master, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

chuckjq

I had question on using regular track with E/Z track and these comments answered great.  Am putting together layout with lots of existing track and think it will work fine.