News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sy coupler hight

Started by Daylight4449, February 06, 2009, 10:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

I am having troublw with the hight of the couplars on th sy, it keeps uncoupling from my oold athearn coaches.

SvFiat

You didn't mention the type of coupler so i'll assume it's a knuckle coupler.
Set your train on a level track and look at that coupler set to see that they are aligned in height. If they're not Kadee sells knuckle couplers in 3 styles:
Over set which lowers the coupler
Center set which you probably have
Under set which raises the coupler
If the car is coming uncoupled due to uneven grades in the track you might want to use a shelf coupler.

http://www.kadee.com/index.shtml

Have fun

Daylight4449

the front is normal but the tender has a raising couplar.

Woody Elmore

Sounds like you need a coupler height gauge - Kadee makes one or you can get one from Micro Mark. Even though items you buy are ready to run, couplers are always an issue especially with stuff from different manufacturers. I think by Sy you mean a Chinese engine -the coupler on the tender may be too high and in need of shimming.

Daylight4449

it is the susquehanna sy, spectrum

CNE Runner

Daylight, three things you absolutely need for car maintenance are: a Kadee coupler height gauge (works on all kinds of magnetic couplers), some Kadee Greas-em lubricant (ditto) and a trip pin adjustment plier (ditto). Always check the height of all the couplers on all your motive power and rolling stock...you might be amazed at the difference in couple height between cars. The couplers should match each other exactly...close isn't good enough. The Grease-em lubricant is a graphite powder that lubricates the couplers - making them spring back to center easier and more reliably...it also works great on wheel set axle points. Trip pins (if you keep them on the couplers...I do not) require a specific height - otherwise they might snag on turnouts and crossings.

Finding out that some of your couplers are not aligned correctly does you no good unless you can do something about it. This is where coupler box shims, or fiber washers for king pins, come into play. Adjusting coupler height can be done by simply inserting a fiber washer (spacer) between the truck bolster and the car body. This is OK if you don't raise the body of the car too much. The best method is to lower the coupler mounting box with a shim or two. Usually the coupler mounting box is either molded into the car underframe or is glued in place - making for a fun afternoon of cutting away with a #18 blade. I have found that very small adjustments are all that is required (try the fibre washer method first...the washer come in various thicknesses). If you have to make major adjustments...something is terribly wrong so I suggest you check further (is the car floor/underframe seated all the way in?..did you put the Kadee coupler spring on the correct side of the coupler?).

Micro Mark sells a package of 25 shims for $5.95 [Item #82565] BTW: they also sell couplers, Greas'em [Item #83919], and trip pin pliers [Item #80600]. All clearances and heights should be checked yearly and entered on the back of each car card. Most problems, with rolling stock, are due to poor maintenance. Note to the wise: this is a much easier project when you keep up with maintenance and only have one or two cars to check/fix...it gets less than enjoyable when you are stuck doing the whole fleet!

If it sounds like I am pushing Micro Mark products it is because I own a large portion of the company...I must own a large portion of the company as I spend inordinate amounts of money there each month (there is always that new catalog offering I just have to get). Oh, they also sell EZmate couplers at a very good price!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

bevernie

:DGREETINGS!! ;DSAY, RAY!! Since you own most of the company, how about getting the members of this board a DISCOUNT?? Is that a possibility?? ??? :o

THANX!!
                                                        8)                             Ernie

www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

CNE Runner

Ernie: 'Funny thing...I called the office today - and they acted like they didn't even know me!! Sheesh! I then realized that my Micro Mark ownership was related to that wild island get-a-way with a super model...they all disappear when the alarm clock rings. On the otherhand, I wonder how much one needs to spend to get a postion on their board of directors? If I am ever called to join, rest assured that I will work on that discount for all forum members. Until then: don't quit your day job.

Cheers,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"