News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mckinley Explorer coupling

Started by chartsmalm, March 22, 2007, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chartsmalm

I cannot keep the cars coupled.  The diesel will not couple to any one of the cars.  I've tried both ends of all 4 cars.  The cars usually will not automatically couple to one another. I have to hand thread them together, as well as the diesel.  What a pain in the #$&*^& that is!

Is there any suggested solution other than spending more money on changing couplers - I'd probably opt to change the trucks at the same time.  When these puppies derail it's usually because one of the wheel sets has dislodged and either derails the same car or the one trailing.

Before you say it is probably the track, A 1947 Varney Lil' Joe Dockside 0-4-0 pulls a string of 5 or 6 cars around on the same track with no problem.  This consist is mixed freight.  Some are Bachmann cars.

This is not a used set from eBay.  I bought it NIB from Holland American while riding on the McKinley Explorer from Denali to Anchorage.

Suggestions welcome!

James in FL

error occurs within post

deleted

ben_not_benny

Are you using the 11.25" radius track supplied with the set?

I suggest that you run passenger cars on at least 15" or larger curves. This way, the cars are less likely to derail and uncouple.

Also, be sure to check your coupler height.

chartsmalm

My radius is 22"

With the manner that Bachmann uses to install the couplers on these cars, how would one adjust the coupler height - if they are not already the same?  To my eye they appear to be at the same height.

As to the diesel, the coupler jaws do not seem to open.  Further they appear to be a different coupler than what is on the cars.  Why would they do that in a Set?

Franz T

What scale are we talking about here??

Franz T

chartsmalm