News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2 Locos on one train

Started by mitremark, February 07, 2009, 04:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitremark

What do you need to do to the second loco to make it run in reverse when you use two loco on 1 long train?  Is there an advantage to running 2 loco's on a DC layout or do the two just share to power?

Daylight4449

Joe Satnik

Dear mm,

"What do you need to do to the second loco to make it run in reverse when you use two loco on 1 long train?"

If your engines are closely matched in speed, do nothing but turn it around and put it on the track.  DC locomotives follow the NMRA "right hand rule". 

See nmra.org

Advantage: added traction. 

Disadvantage: may need a bigger power pack.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

mitremark

Thanks for the link i will try that.

bevernie

:DGREETINGS!! Joe, I'm sorry, but many of my locos do not follow the "right hand rule". (Perhaps they were manufactured before the rule became the rule?) :o
      At any rate, if he should have such a problem that one of his engines is "left-handed" ;), then he must tear into it and switch the wires!
                                                                                                THANX!!
                                                          8)                                     Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

lmackattack

with DC if you plan to run 2 locos in diffrent parts on the same layout you need power "blocks" to keep power divided thruout they layout. then you will need a 2nd controller to operate the 2nd unit. if you only use 1 controler both locos will run if powere is on in the blocks the are in. This is where DCC becomes very nice.

If you are looking to run 2 DC engines at the head of the train...one engine forward and the other backwards. you need to turn the cab shell around (if possible) or solder the motor leads to the other sides. again a DCC system will fix this easy.

James Thomas

Imackattack:  For doubleheading -- If the DC locos are relatively new (and follow the "right-hand rule") you do not need to turn the shells around or rewire the locos.  Even if you turn one around, both locos will run the same direction.

For running two separate trains -- As long as the faster loco is in the front train, you can run two trains on the same DC track with one controller,  until the front train "catches up."  If you have a passing siding that you can turn the power off with a toggle switch,  you can park the slower train there until the faster one goes by.  I do it all the time, and it is actually very fun.

We need to be more careful about the advice we give.

Yampa Bob

The advantage of running two or more DC locos in consist is to conserve available current.  For example, say you have one loco pulling 15 cars, drawing .25 amp of current.  Add a second loco in consist, and the total current draw will be about .35 amp.  Add a third in consist, the total current will be about .45 amp.

With a power pack of only .7 amp output, I have run 4 locos, that would normally draw .25 amp each if ran alone,  yet in consist total draw was only .60 amp.

By the way, these small DC motors are not purely resistive, if you put 6 or 7 locos on the track at the same time, the controller overload protection might not trip at all, the locos would just move very slow.  In the case of my DC controller, each loco would only receive about .11 amp.  Since all motors are connected to the power in parallel, the available current must divide among the different paths, in compliance  with "Kirchhoff's Current Law".

Of course I don't recommend letting any loco run at less than average or optimum speed for long periods, but you are safe in running 3 or 4 in consist with no problems.

More than you wanted to know, but of interest to all modelers. As James mentioned, runnng multiple trains on DC can be challenging and lots of fun.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

lmackattack

Quote from: James Thomas on February 08, 2009, 01:47:46 PM
Imackattack:  For doubleheading -- If the DC locos are relatively new (and follow the "right-hand rule") you do not need to turn the shells around or rewire the locos.  Even if you turn one around, both locos will run the same direction.

For running two separate trains -- As long as the faster loco is in the front train, you can run two trains on the same DC track with one controller,  until the front train "catches up."  If you have a passing siding that you can turn the power off with a toggle switch,  you can park the slower train there until the faster one goes by.  I do it all the time, and it is actually very fun.

We need to be more careful about the advice we give.
James that was a complete brain fart be me LOL you are 100% correct it has been too many years running DCC and I seam to have forgotten some of the DC basics !!! please forgive me!!

Yampa Bob

John Wayne (the Duke) said to never apologize.  I took the Dale Carnegie course, and in real life, (the internet is only a fantasy) I believe in the "show me, don't tell me" approach.

http://www.westegg.com/unmaintained/carnegie/win-friends.html

If we lived by these principles we would all be better friends.

WGL

I think it was in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" (1949) that Wayne said, "Never apologize; it's a sign of weakness."  However, in "The Train Robbers" (1973), he did apologize.   :D  People who can't admit making mistakes tend to keep making the same ones.  This trait in politicians causes immense damage.

Jim Banner

Whoever wrote that line for Duke must have been a scared little man.  A real man is sure enough of himself  that he can apologize and not have to worry about his image.

Here in Canada we had one politician who was man enough to apologize when he made an error.  That was "King" Ralph Klien, Premier of Alberta for 14 years.  He was so respected for it that he was given a huge majority in the house.

All of that aside, I have found a "show and tell" (or 'lecture and demonstration' if your prefer') is the best way of teaching model railroading.  A lot of people learn more from that than from the books.  The interaction made possible by forums like this one make the forums a close second.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

lmackattack

im not ashamed to admit my mistakes.. we all make them. Some bigger than others but we still make them ;) after read James post I had to go down stairs and hook up my old DC MRC Tech II controller. I felt kinda dumb for my error. but I did go test just to make sure he was right LOL!

Trent ???

Yampa Bob

You have to keep the quotation in the context of the movie. At one point, Bittles did say "sorry I won't be going out with you", that was not an apology for anything he had done, only stating he wished the circumstances were different.

A commander who constantly apologizes for his actions will quickly lose the respect of subordinates.

Wayne wrote many of his own lines, he hated it when people quoted him, except for those who fully understood the meaning behind the quote.

We all make mistakes, admitting our errors is a sign of maturity.  What I was alluding to is, making an error about "the right rail rule" hardly warrants an apology to anyone.  A simple "yep you're right" will suffice.

Terry Toenges

If running two separate consists without blocks, you could try adding or subtracting cars from the consists until you get them running at about the same speed.
If the rear train keeps catching up to the front one, add cars to the rear train to slow it down or subtract cars from the front one to speed it up.
Feel like a Mogul.