News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-4 berk

Started by bobwrgt, February 07, 2009, 10:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobwrgt

I only have 18in radius because of space. Is anyone running one of the new 2-8-4 berk's on 18in radius?? Does it slow down on the curves?

I have tried the new 4-8-4 Santa fe and it did not derail but it realy slowed down in the curves.
I have also tried the 2-10-2 Spectrum and it did not derail But slowed down some what . The center drivers on both 2-10-2 engines tried would slap the rail even on the straight track. Sounded like tapping the rail with a screw driver. One was a replacement sent direct from Bachmann.

I have a Bli N&W J, M1a, and AHM Berk that all run fine. Even my older Bachmann Niagra has no problem.

Thanks
Bob

Barney R

Hi Bob- I am sorry to say that I do not have any input on the Berk, so I can't give you any input. However, you said something that interested me greatly. You said that you have a Bli N&W J that is running on 18" radius. Well I have a Bli N&W J #600 with sound and I have had difficulity running it on 18" layout. I only tried once and then I wrote to Broadway and they said the recommendated track was 22". I have been planning on selling this, but you have given me hope. My J class is a 4-8-4. I also have a bli PRR K-4s that will run on the 18", and that is a 4-6-2. Please confirm that you have the same Class J and give me some encouragement.

Thanks,
Barney

grumpy

I have  a BLI J class 4-8-4  and it runs fine on my layout which is all 18" curves. Sounds good too
Don :)

bobwrgt

What problems are you having with the J on 18inch?
Mine does not derail or salow down at all.
Is your track hand laid from flex or sectional?
I have sectional powerlock track with plastic roadbed and it is solid and level.

Bob

Barney R

The J was derailing on a section that I had hand laid with flex and since relaid with sectional. However, now that I know that at least two others are having success, I will revisit and inspect that section. I am using 100 code, brass, Atlas and AHM Track. This means that I just need a minor ajustment and it should work. Thanks to all.

Barney

SteamGene

Barney, all N&W J class locomotives were 4-8-4s.  That's what J class meant to the N&W.  Other railroads had a J class which had different wheel arrangements.  The C&O, to complicate things had class J1, J2, and J3.  The first two were 4-8-2s and the last 4-8-4s.  Except for the wheel arrangement the N&W J and the C&O J3 bore no resemblance to each other.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

adari

I am building a layout right now with wide 30" and more radi. On my old layout i ran my2-10-2on 22".I worked but it slowed down that is one reason i am doing wide radi. another is that i have a 2-8-8-2. Also it probobly wont look good on 18"