News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What type of HO coupler does Bachmann use?

Started by Neo Fender, February 07, 2009, 09:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo Fender

The Great Train Expo is in town this wekend and I'm looking to pickup some inexpensive (used) rolling stock.  I know what the coupler looks like (I guess there's at least two different types).  I just don't know what it's called.  I see more Athearn than anything else.

Thanks.

Hunt

Bachmann uses their brand knuckle coupler.
E-Z Mate magnetically operated knuckle coupler

Very old stock does not have knuckle coupler type but the "X2F" better know as  "Horn-Hook" coupler.

Neo Fender

Thanks.  So am I tied to Bachmann-only rolling stock?

Quote from: Hunt on February 07, 2009, 09:47:29 PM
Bachmann uses their brand knuckle coupler.
E-Z Mate magnetically operated knuckle coupler

Very old stock does not have knuckle coupler.

Hunt

Quote from: Neo Fender on February 07, 2009, 09:50:00 PM
Thanks.  So am I tied to Bachmann-only rolling stock?

Not at all. Most knuckle couplers used on HO are compatible with one another.

CNE Runner

If you go to the Kadee website you will see a conversion list for just about all the trains you will ever come across. Probably the most common magnetic couplers out there are Kadee (with the #5 being the most popular of the lot). I, however, like Bachmann EZmate couplers for their price and ease of installation (they are a "whisker" type having no separate spring). Modeling the late 1800s, I do not pull large strings of cars (usually 10 max.) and have no problems with coupler separation. Additionally, I "neuter" all my rolling stock by snipping off the trip pins. Why?..because I use a bamboo skewer to uncouple cars. EZmate couplers seem to work the best in that application.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

OkieRick

Quote from: CNE Runner on February 08, 2009, 10:24:14 AM
Additionally, I "neuter" all my rolling stock by snipping off the trip pins. Why?..because I use a bamboo skewer to uncouple cars. EZmate couplers seem to work the best in that application.

Ray

Good day Ray,

Is the skewer the only way you uncouple your cars?  I ask because I've been experimenting trying to find the best or most satisfactory way to uncouple my cars.  I'm trying delay and immediate between track magnets and electromagnets both above and below track.  I'm unable to uncouple the cars "manually with my fingers" and find the magnets, particularly the electromagnets, placed where I need them my best option.

Okie Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

CNE Runner

Hi Rick, yes the skewer is the only method I use to uncouple cars. In the past, I have tried using uncoupling magnets - with little to no success (maybe it is me). A fellow modeler introduced me to the skewer method and I have been using it ever since. Skewers can be had for very little cash and come in a bag containing enough skewers to last you a lifetime. I like to think of this as subscribing to the KISS principle. On a recent return visit to a local model railroad club operating session, I was assigned yard duty with another gentleman. He was using the uncoupling magnets - whilst I did my chores with my trusty skewer (a new one for the occasion). By the end of the session, he borrowed a skewer and became a convert [so many couplers...so little time].

On a related note: I have tried the Rix magnetic uncoupling wand and have found it to be wanting. The Rix uncoupler wand has two magnets on each tine that are supposed to separate the couplers - much like the embedded track units. My experience has been that this method is marginal at best. Save yourself some money and buy a bag of skewers. If you are not satisfied, you will have enough skewers to make enough shish-kabobs for the entire neighborhood.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Casy jHOnes

Not familiar with this skewed method. Are you just using the skewer as a "poker" to manually jab at the coupling? Or is it more complicated.

Tylerf

As long as the couplers are nice and free the skewers work very well, at first it's abut difficult but once you get good at the twist push type action it's easy