News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-2

Started by boomertom, February 05, 2009, 03:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomertom

I have a modeling project in mind and was wondering about using the Bachmann Santa Fe 2-10-2  and have a couple of questions about the Sahta Fe type.

Is the decoder located in the tender?

Could a DCC Ready Vandebuilt lon tender be used on this locomotive and could the Bachmann decoder be swappede.

Could the Vanderbuilt long tender be used on an IHC 2=10=2.

Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Yampa Bob

Atlantic Central (Sheldon) posted some tender swap information in this thread. He probably has more information regarding the 2-10-2.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8178.0.html

Hope this helps,
Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

boomertom

I just found what might be an easier path. IHC now has their 2-10-2 with a vanderbuilt tender DCC ready. I have seen this locomotive in operation and it is a smooth runner.

Just a simple repainting and decals I'm on my way - only need an Elesco feedwater heater and would have a fair representation of C&O Class B-1 2952.
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Pacific Northern

Quote from: boomertom on February 05, 2009, 03:57:22 PM
I have a modeling project in mind and was wondering about using the Bachmann Santa Fe 2-10-2  and have a couple of questions about the Sahta Fe type.

Is the decoder located in the tender?

Could a DCC Ready Vandebuilt lon tender be used on this locomotive and could the Bachmann decoder be swappede.

Could the Vanderbuilt long tender be used on an IHC 2=10=2.

Decoder is in the tender

As mentioned, it may be necessary to rewire the Vanderbuilt tender. Not that hard to do just check the wiring and change if necessary.

Note sure, probably not.
Pacific Northern

SteamGene

Apparently the Canadian version has an Elesco, to match the Elesco pump on the US model.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on February 06, 2009, 09:20:05 PM
Apparently the Canadian version has an Elesco, to match the Elesco pump on the US model.
Gene

Only the ones sold under the "President's Choice" brand name in Canadian Superstore and various other named supermarkets.

I ditched that awful tender the loco comes with and kitbashed Spectrum Hicken oil tenders by shortening them by one water course ring and converting them to coal tenders

Here are three of mine: -

And a closer view showing the tender a little better, though I've been thinking of making them into 2-10-4s as there's that big space under the cab that looks a little odd.  What does everyone think?: -

RAM

I think it would look better as a 2-10-4.  They do look nice.  You did a good job.

pdlethbridge

Or you could move the trailing truck back a bit but I think it would look better as a 2-10-4. I love the scenery AND the engined.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: pdlethbridge on February 07, 2009, 11:28:01 AM
Or you could move the trailing truck back a bit but I think it would look better as a 2-10-4. I love the scenery AND the engined.

CN had no 2-10-4's, CPR did though have 2-10-4's their Selkirk engines.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on February 07, 2009, 03:06:36 PM
Quote from: pdlethbridge on February 07, 2009, 11:28:01 AM

CN had no 2-10-4's, CPR did though have 2-10-4's their Selkirk engines.

While the CNR had no 2-10-4s, the CV had 10, Nos 700 to 709 which I believe were the smallest 2-10-4s in North America.

SteamGene

What are the trailing trucks with the model?  Deltas mounted a bit further to the rear might do the trick and still keep it a 2-10-2.
Gecne
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on February 09, 2009, 08:30:55 PM
What are the trailing trucks with the model?  Deltas mounted a bit further to the rear might do the trick and still keep it a 2-10-2.
Gecne

Not sure Gene, they came with the loco so whatever IHC uses.  I think part of the issue is that the IHC 2-10-2 is a freelance design hence the space under the cab.  I'll try swapping the trailing truck with one from a Spectrum Heavy 4-8-2 that I have as spare parts and see how that looks.