News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

it's all greek to me

Started by claire, February 07, 2009, 07:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claire

My introduction to model trains (at the age of 70) was 12/08, when I purchased a set online for my husband (he's as green as I am)

And we're hooked.  The first thing I very quickly learned is that we are entering into a "brave new world", where nothing sounds familiar, let alone makes sense.  We're housebound so our education must be online. 

I am determined to learn, but can't find anywhere in etherworld any books, mags, etc. that would get me going in the basics:  terminology.  We are struggling to become comfortable with such things as oN30, O, H & G scales and just when we thought we were inching our way forward, we come across "Large" scale in the Bachmann catalog.  In layman's terms, how does this compare with the others and will it run on narrow gauge?

We want a hand truck (Gandy Dancer), but our train set is oN30 and the only gandy dancers found are HO size.  HO size in figures won't work...as we learned from ordering a bunch online.  My head is full of visual outcomes, but no clue how to go about achieving the goals...trestles, bridges, turnouts, remote control to name a few.

Any and all help is appreciated...and please be kind.   ??? :'( :'(

mhampton

Claire,

Welcome to the wonderful, and sometimes confusing, world of model railroading.  Time, patience, reading, and asking lots of questions on forums like this one will help to lift the fog.

On30 and O are the same "scale" (1:48) but different "gauge" (the inside distance between the rails).  On30 is meant to represent trains running on rails that are a scale 30" apart.  O scale represents standard gauge trains or 4' 8.5" between the rails.  Any buildings or people you can use with O gauge trains will look just fine with On30.

HO products are about Half-O scale (1:87).  It just so happens that the rails on HO track are almost perfectly spaced for On30 models, but many people think that the ties on HO track don't look right for On30.  But if you're just getting started, it probably isn't worth worrying about.

G scale is probably the most confusing because it doesn't really represent any one ratio.  What is often considered to be true G scale is 1:22.5.  Early Bachmann large scale items were built to this scale.  Other manufacturers build models in 1:32, 1:29, and 1:24 and still call them G.  Bachmann's current run of Large scale is usually referred to as F (Fine?) scale.  These models are scaled at 1:20.3 and are intended to represent 36" gauge narrow gauge.  All large scale models (F or G) run on track with the rails spaced at 45mm.

Almost any layout you find that has been designed for HO can be used for On30 with some modifications.  The spacing between parallel tracks has to be increased for On30 to accommodate the wider cars.  Vertical clearances have to be increased, too.

SteamGene

Let me suggest a subscription to MODEL RAILROADER.  I think it is the best entry level magazine in the field.  Check here often.  The good stuff far outweighs the bad. 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Nathan

One other thing to think about, not knowing where you are 'house bound', is if there are some local model railroad clubs that you could contact.  They may be able to help you learn by having club members come to you.  The trains.com web site as well as others has lists of clubs almost everywhere.

If you can leave the house for short periods of time, once more with help of local model railroaders, you may also be able to visit with others at their home.

Hunt

Clarie,

Read for general information the articles in this link and the links to other articles in it. ABCs of Model Railroading

Yampa Bob

Hi Claire,
Here is another page with scale and gauge definitions.

http://www.spec2000.net/rr_site_pages/rr_scale_dfn.htm

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

And don't feel your along. A lot of us are retired and spend our homebound hours relaxing with the trains. I'm 62, Yampa bob is 70, at least. We come here to learn, share and have fun.  Welcome to the board. Paul

Yampa Bob

At least, but I ain't telling.  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

az2rail

Here is just one more fact to confuse large scale [ G and F].

Bachmann Trains and others, are making a line of FN3 [1:20.3] narrow gauge trains that run on G gauge track. As stated G gauge track is 45mm, but F gauge track is about 70mm. The reason it will run on 45mm track is because it is modeled after narrow gauge eguiptment.

F does not stand for fine, it is it's own scale. A FN3 box car is larger than a standard gauge G scale box car, and a standard gauge F scale box car would be a lot larger. This may or not may important to you, as most F scale people will be running it out side because of the size. I just thought I would add this in, and confuse you a little more.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

bevernie

:DGREETINGS!!! :oATTENTION, YOU OLD GEEZERS!! I'm only 56, so if you would be so kind as to leave all your TRAIN STUFF to me, in your WILL, I'd sure appreciate it!! :-*
                                                                                            THANX!!
                                                             8)                               Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

SteamGene

Ernie, I'm 65 young and my train stuff is steam and C&O/VT&P, so I don't think you'd like it.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"