News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Guy Question

Started by SlipMahoney, March 17, 2007, 05:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlipMahoney

This may sound kind of stupid to most people here, but I haven't a clue, so I have to ask. 

I've got an old Harry Potter set that has the steel EZ Tracks.  My grandson just got a set that uses the nickel/silver EZ Tracks.  Can the steel and nickel tracks be combined to enlarge the present layout?  Also, can two engines be run on the one transformer?  If not, is it possible to double up transformers?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

Alex V.

Yes, you can run both types of EZ-track on the same system, and, you should be able to run 2 engines on the same track with 1 transformer.
Alex - Owner/Operator
          Western Overland R.R.

jayl1

Both tracks are code 100 rail.  The nickel silver is easier to keep clean & conducts power better.

I would ask what power pack you are using.  The very small ones that come with some sets don't provide much power.  As Alex said - two engines may run together on the same track.

Do NOT hook 2 different power packs to the same track.

GlennW

Since the steel & nickel silver are both Code 100 rail, they can be connected together. You may not want to mix them to avoid a checkerboard effect. You could try using some paint or ballast to make them look better.

Running 2 locos from one transformer or power pack depends on the volts output. You can tell by how quickly one trips out. You could try to test each unit to see how quickly it performs when a short happens. The "spare" unit can be used to light houses or other accessories.

The HP sets may be good ones to check out DCC systems to see what difference it will make. For your grandson, it could make a great investment that will last far into the future.

SlipMahoney

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the information.  I put the Harry Potter set up a couple weeks ago because I thought my grandson was getting old enough now to appreciate it.  It's been many, many years since I've had a train set up and running, so I had the plywood cut to match the HP oval.  Now it looks like I"ll have to be getting a full sheet so I can add the extra track.  I guess that's how every new railroad empire gets it's start.  He's already talking about adding more rail cars and buildings too.

I'll probably be stopping back every so often with a new question or two as problems arise.  You've been real helpful, thanks again.

Rick

mac_daddy

I too am interested since I have a set of Nickel EZ tracks and was wondering about mixing with Steel.

Is there any hard numbers to use or is it more testing? Will a multimeter help?

Stephen D. Richards

I've used both together to test both DC and DCC engines.  Looks strange but works fine!  Stephen

SteamGene

Looks can be taken care of by adding ballast.  Keep the steel tracks CLEAN!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

gardenrail

Glenn W said :"Running 2 locos from one transformer or power pack depends on the volts output."

I'm sorry, that just ain't so. Whatever size of power pack in anything larger than Z scale and smaller than G scale the output is between 0 and around 12 volts DC plus or minus. The ability to run more than one train on a DC analogue layout is dependent up using separate blocks OR a controller with a higher Amperage. Abasic unit giving say 0.75 Amps will be struggling with two trains, whilst a 1.5 or 2 Amp unit will breeze it. Both will give the same voltage.

murfling

Quote[/quI'm sorry, that just ain't so. Whatever size of power pack in anything larger than Z scale and smaller than G scale the output is between 0 and around 12 volts DC plus or minus. The ability to run more than one train on a DC analogue layout is dependent up using separate blocks OR a controller with a higher Amperage. Abasic unit giving say 0.75 Amps will be struggling with two trains, whilst a 1.5 or 2 Amp unit will breeze it. Both will give the same voltage.
ote]

Speaking as one who only has to sit for a test to get his masters electricians license, and one who has experimented with trains form many, many years, a Spectrum Powerpack will run three loco's simutaneously. Teh fourth often trips the internal breaker, however, they all have to be going the same direction. You cannot seperate them as you can with DCC, or blocks as the previous person mentioned. ANd if they are geared slightly different, or the resistance in the motor is off just a little bit, one will have a tendancy to travel faster than the other. Just some things to think about.
Jonathan