News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 Northern Lifetime warranty

Started by cact25, February 08, 2009, 07:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cact25

Will Bachmann replace/repair old 4-8-4 Northerns under the Lifetime Warranty?

jayl1

Click on the "Service Department" link in red (on left).  That will tell you the information you need.  Cost will probably be $15.

cact25

Thanks, I did that before they reintroduced the new Northerns.  They said they could not repair them as they had no parts.  They said they would give me a refund for the purchase price if I had one.  I don't as these babies are old.  I seriously doubt that they would replace them with the new ones that cost a lot more than the originals.

SteamGene

Are you the original owner?  If so you can send it in with the correct fee and receive a new one in exchange.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Mr. Bachman should answer this question. 

I would like to know the official postion on this as well and to avoid any confusion as I have a couple of very old Bachmann steam engines from the past that do not run and would like to have them repaired/replaced as well.
Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear CACT,
The Limited Lifetime Warranty covers equipment for the original owner. It dos not cover items bought at shows or, for instance, on eBay.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Yampa Bob

As previously advised, it's best to contact service department and explain your situation, and be honest about it.  Even if the warrany has expired, or not applicable to used locomotives, they will do their best to work out a fair and reasonable charge for repair or replacement.

I have dealt with service enough in the past three years to know for a fact that "Bachmann wants modelers happy with their products".
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Mr. B - you raise a question for me.  What if I buy a new Bachmann loco at a trainshow from a dealer, or on eBay new from a dealer - The Favorite Spot, for instance? 
I'm aware that Bachmann's warranty extends only to the original buyer, but many train shows sell new stuff and there are many dealers/hobby shops selling on eBay.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Barney R

SteamGene- Good question. I have bought Bachmann loco's at train shows and I asked the dealer for a paper receipt for just that reason. They were happy to provide same. I have also bought from dealers on E-Bay and the Loco's come with a paper receipt as well, shipped inside with the Loco.
Just my experience.

Barney

the Bach-man

Dear Gene,
A new item from a legitimate dealer is no problem. The problem comes when people buy old, broken items and think they will get replacements. You'd be amazed at how many times a person at a show will show me a $15 box of junked locos and brag that they intend to return them for new ones!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

SteamGene

I know you wouldn't - but you should just say - "Don't forget to send in the check with the correct amount."

BTW, several years ago they did replace an 0-6-0 which I said was second hand.  This is one of the ones I've bashed with a Proto 2000 pilot so it has an operating front coupler.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

trainmaster971

If you are the original owner and the loco is no longer made then Bachmann will exchange it for an updated version for $30.00 instead of the $15.00 for repair.  I had an older GS-4 that blew a driver and they replaced it for me. Contact customer service and check if they will do the same with the loco that you have.