News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ADDING DCC TO A 2-6-0

Started by TOMOTS, February 08, 2009, 10:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMOTS

I purchased a Bachmann 0-4-0 gas switcher, with DCC on board.  I took the hood off the unit to put on the detail parts.  The decoder is plugged into a small circuit board, with capacitors on it.  Now what am I missing here? I bought a Bachmann decoder to install on my 2-6-0 and I thought the wiring from the decoder was supposed to go directly to the motor, lamps, power pickups, etc.  What is the circuit board and its parts for? Could they be eliminated?

the Bach-man

Dear Tom,
The 2-6-0 is not DCC ready, so wires must be run individually.
Here is a great online article:
http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/mogul_dcc/
Have fun!
the Bach-man

TOMOTS

Thanks for the quick reply.   I had used that article already to disassemble my Mogul.  I would never have been able to do it without that help. 
     I still am wondering though, what the purpose of the components on the tiny board, that the decoder plugs into are for on my 0-4-0 switcher?

David(UK)

The cct board is there to enable the loco to run on either DC or DCC - it also makes life easier for swapping decoders.
Don't remove it unless you want to go down the route of hard wiring another decoder in.
You'll find all *DCC Ready* locos come with a similar cct board.
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

railtwister

Quote from: TOMOTS on February 09, 2009, 01:49:00 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.   I had used that article already to disassemble my Mogul.  I would never have been able to do it without that help. 
     I still am wondering though, what the purpose of the components on the tiny board, that the decoder plugs into are for on my 0-4-0 switcher?

Without actually looking at the board, I can't be totally sure, but most likely the components (other than the socket the decoder is plugged into) are for the RF noise suppression required by many European countries, and probably also for dropping the voltage to the headlight, so that it retains constant voltage whether operating off of DCC or DC.

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park (Ft. Lauderdale), FL USA
Florida On30 Renegades