wheels contacting coupler pockets

Started by RE60, February 10, 2009, 10:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RE60

I recently returned to model railroading and have purchased some (more than wife wants me too) different cars and loco's. The problem I am having is that the wheel sets contact the coupler pockets on the cars that I have recieved. The car example is the On30 camp car (spectrum). I do not ever remember having this problem when I modeled a long time ago. ???

CNE Runner

RE60...I have had this problem, in the past, and it usually means your curve radii are too sharp. If that isn't the problem (or can't be corrected) there is little you can do except putting shims under the bolsters or somehow "carving out" the car underframe and raising the draught (coupler) box. I doubt you can lower the bolsters enough to have the wheel flanges clear the coupler box...besides it would look rather strange. The coupler box recess procedure could work if you have enough underframe to work with (my bet is that you don't). So...rather than trying to fight city hall, I would redo those sharp curves.

In any case...good luck!
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

It's highly unlikely the wheels contact the pockets while on the tracks, unless you have extremely sharp curves. You don't want the trucks to swivel all the way around, especially on tenders that have electrical pickups on the wheels.

Regards.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"