News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

service time?

Started by bob kaplan, February 10, 2009, 01:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

i am sure this has been covered MANY times before...but one more time wouldn't hurt i guess.

i sent my 2-6-6-0 mallet to Bachmann service 1/5/09.
Of course i would have like to have had it back the day before i sent it out...but that is not the way of the world.  But i did call today, to get an idea of how much longer it would take, and was told that it will still be "quite a while." Since it was not logged in yet, it was still in the receiving room.  Just wondering if anyone might have experience "quite a while" and give me an idea of how long it might be.

Thanks for the help.
bob

spla13

as with all service dept. in this hobby you have to wait until outgoing product is shipped or new incoming is taken care of. once you buy something they will take there time to get it back to you. bachmann is better than some by a long shot. usa and aristocraft take months good luck.

bob kaplan

that's a bit of a cynical comment....but it doesn't really answer the question.
  Thanks just the same.
bob

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob,

Service time with Bachmann varies based on the total workload in the service department at any one time, and so there is no good answer anyone can give you on what to expect.  .

What is known is that the Jan Feb Mar time period is usually the time with the longest turnaround time.  This is due to all the Bachmann purchasers pulling out their trains for christmas and finding they don't run and new purchasers who need service of some type ot other.  This time period also includes the annual shutdown for inventory which causes delays as well.   

I think your repair may have been delayed as least somewhat by the inventory shutdown.   

Overall  ::) it seems to take longer the more you need your loco.   When I first started out I bought a Spectrum 2-6-0 Mogul, and just two weeks before I was having my pals over to see my layout smoke came out and I had to send it in.  It was the only locomotive I owned at the time and I needed it bad.   From the day I sent it to Bachmann for service to the day I got it back was four weeks and one day and that was in Summer.   So I had to borrow a loco for the event!!!   A few years later I left that same engine on the edge of a workbench and it got knocked off and badly wrecked, I made cosmetic repairs but the loco would not run.  I called Service and they said to send it in,  it was over a year old so I had to pay the fee of $25 (now $50) and pay for shipping to them.  They paid shipping back to me.  By now I had several locos so was not in a crisis mode or in a rush, and I had it back in 19 days!!!
Not only did I get it back quick, but the whole bottom end of the loco was brand new!!!   I was really happy with that.   This incident was also not during the big rush period.

Maybe others who have sent in a loco for repairs during the rush will post their experience.   My son has also had long waits for service from LGB, (worst at 13 weeks), and others mentioned earlier closer to 8 or 9 weeks.

Maybe when it is finally back you can report on how long the actual tiome was from door to door.

I do understand you want your loco back, and hope it will be sooner rather than later!

Good luck!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

Bill,
  Thanks for your reply.  i was wondering if this might be a busy time for them...and you certainly hinted at that.   Thank goodness i do have another engine...but this was a bit frustrating in that it was a brand new engine and pieces just started falling off the running gear and ending up in the roadbed!!!....but of course we each think our problems deserve special attention....i think i knew the anwer already: ...."it depends."  ::)
bob

charlietusa

I have the very same question or problem.  I sent a new, out of the box 3 truck shay in on 1/06/09 since it would not run nor would the sound or lights work(G scale).  I cannot reach a live person to talk to, tried today in fact, nothing.  I have left three messages on their joke of an answering system.  No one will bother to call me back.  Busy is one thing, but at least have the courtesy to return a call, send an email, something to know that at least  the item was received.  A live person will answer the phone at Accucraft, Aster, USA trains etc. and they can actually help you.  As you can tell I'm frustrated with the lack of customer service shown by Bachmann.

jebouck

You shouldn't have to send any new loco in for repair.
It's new and stamped "Quality checked" on the box, right?

bob kaplan

Thanks for the info j.b. It really added to to info i was seeking.
bob

jebouck

No problem. Glad I could help.

Loco Bill Canelos

If you are calling the 800 number, it is very difficult to get to a real person.   I don't bother to use it ever!!!!   

Email is a waste of time,

If you use the regular number 215-533-1600 You will "usually" get a live person in the form of the operator. She will direct your call to service, Parts, etc.  If you have a problem due to a screw up ask for the service manager.
AVOID calling during the lunch hour there,  as everyone goes to lunch.  Base this on their time zone which is Eastern US time. 

If you leave a message and do not get a response in two days, follow up by calling the tegular number.  Personnally , I never leave messages but call back later.

I wish they were more responsive, because it hurts their image, and gives the impression they don't care.  I give the above advice only to help you out with info which works for me, and can't guarantee it will work for you.

Attitude on your part is critical.  When  you do get thru and reach a worker type remember that they do not make the rules and are probably overworked.  Be friendly and you will generally get friendly back!!!   

Save your rants for the PR department.   Call the regular number and ask for the public relations department and file you complaint.  Let them know about the failed callbacks,  busy signal on the 800 number and the never answered emails.   This is the only way to get any improvement!!!

Hope this will help ease your frustrations at least a little. 

All the bad feeling goes away as soon as you get your Loco back ;D,  so complain while you are still waiting!!!  Call the PR folks!

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

Thanks again Bill,
   Information is appreciated.  i relalize i have a bit more of a wait....but i wish it was shorter...it was nice to see it slither along the track.
bob

Doug.Oaks

When you get your engine back, make a thorough examination of it. Several years ago, I sent in my 2-truck Shay for split gears. After what seemed like a long wait, it came back with broken steps and hose hangers. In anger, I put my Shay away for over a year. When I got it out, I realized that it was someone elses engine, and had places where lettering and the dull finish was removed. I don't blame Bachmann for not making good after over a year, but I really do wish that they would take responsive action to all of the service department complaints. I really do like all of my Bachmann F scale stuff.

doug

granpab

Bridget, Bachmann Service, gives great customer service, in my experience.  I emailed her last Friday at 4:45 PM EST.  She responded, with a personalized answer, at 9:45 PM EST on Friday.  I don't know how you feel about it, but after working 5 days in the office, still working at 10PM on Friday, shows an outstanding dedication to customer satisfaction.

Encore presentation . . .
When you send an email from via the Bachmann website, sometimes it disappears into cyberspace and the service dept won't see it -- and so you won't get a response.  Use your regular email program to send your message.  It, and Bridget, works fantastic. 

jebouck

No response to my e-mail the other day to service.
I must be on their "black list".

bob kaplan

Received the 2-6-6-2 back today.  Repair time was from 1/5/09 to 3/6/09.  A couple of days ago, i did receive a call from the tech. that worked on the engine and we had a short discussion before he returned it.  i felt that it was helpful in regards to the care and feeding of the "animal."  Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but at least it is in my hands...and out of the box...it looks ok.