News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Decoders

Started by Lotta Hobbies, February 07, 2009, 12:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotta Hobbies

Hi, everyone-

I recently bought a DCC-equipped Bachman 4-4-0.  It wasn't clear to me how comprehensive the DCC decoder was (it's my first On30 loco and first encounter with DCC); I assumed DCC included sound as well, but now I understand that's not so.

Do I have to replace the decoder with one that has sound in it, or is it possible to buy just a sound decoder?

If I have to replace the encoder that came with the engine, what's a good one to get that has sound capabilities, and where can I find one?

And thanks again for the help. 

JohnR

Only some of the Bachmann locos have dcc-sound decoders.  The 4-4-0 does not.

I would suggest looking at the Soundtraxx Tsunami 750 dcc-sound decoders as well as the ESU Loksound line.  In both cases, the dcc motor functions will be a bit more feature rich than the basic decoder in your 4-4-0. 

-John

Lotta Hobbies

Thanks for the response, John.

So it seems I can't just add a sound decoder, I'll have to replace the whole thing.

Rats!  Wish I'd have learned more about this before I started ordering stuff.

Oh, well, buying model train stuff is a hobby unto itself.

Thanks again.

jestor

Changing a decoder is not difficult. It plugs into the circuit board located in the tender. Remove the coal load and you will see the decoder plug located toward the front of the board(that small square thing with 8 wires coming out of it).  At the other end of that wire harness is the actual decoder.  To change the decoder, you simply unplug the original one and plug in the new one in the same socket.  If installing a sound decoder, you place the supplied speaker in the space provided in the tender and you're done.  Nothing to it. The aforementioned describes installing a LOKSOUND decoder which comes with the 8-pin plug already attached to the harness. The SOUNDTRAX will require some soldering since their's don't come with the 8-pin plug, as far as I know. LOKSOUND decoders are available from EBAY dealers. I prefer ESU LOK decoders for their ease of installation and superior motor control technology. The Bachmann sound equipped locos use a SOUNDTRAX  decoder which also runs quite well and sounds great.