News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hogworts Express Vandalized

Started by THB-DAVE, March 23, 2007, 11:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THB-DAVE

I just found this news item on the BBC website. I am sure this will be of interest to many of you younger Modelrailroaders.

Potter train attacked by vandals 

The number 5972 is well-known by Harry Potter fans
Vandals have caused an estimated £50,000 of damage to the train made famous by the Harry Potter films. 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/6483519.stm

Hoople

Who would do such a thing? 50,000 Euros is a LOT of money (Well to me it is.)so who would decide to go and smash it?

-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

SteamGene

There are those who believe that the Harry Potter books and films are the spawn of the devil.  It has been extensively quoted out of context in various attacks.  I'm not saying that the vandals thought they were fighting against evil in their vandalism, but that is one possible reason. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

The vandals probably didn't even know they were attacking the so called "Howorts Express".  After all, all the train consists of is a rake of common and everyday MarkI open carriages painted Ex BR Maroon, the colour they carried when in service with BR.

The locomotive (Which in NOT a train) was probably safely stored and under lock and key.

Rich R

Quote from: Hoople on March 23, 2007, 12:25:19 PM
Who would do such a thing? 50,000 Euros is a LOT of money (Well to me it is.)so who would decide to go and smash it?

I think that figure is in GBP's not Euros so the actual figure would be even higher! Something along the lines of $98,100.00 give or take with the exchange rate.
That should draw a few "howlers" from the ministry of magic !

Cheers,
Rich R

SteamGene

Damn expense glass!  Can't they get permission for Hermione to use her "fix it" spell?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

JerryB

The total estimate of £50,000 or $~98,000 for 200 windows works out to ~$490 each. Sounds realistic for replacing highly specialized windows. I would guess they are non-standard size, required to be hardened against vandalism, shatter proof, UV reducing, and must be compliant with whatever government transit system, railway board, or other authorities' rules are in effect. Adding a seldom performed semi-custom installation, $490 could be a bargain. These aren't your avarage household window.

And don't ignore the UK's high fiscal levies on everything that can possibly be taxed!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

ben_not_benny

Yeah, nice and expensive windows...

Imagine that everything in the hobby was scale priced from the prototype...well, then there would be no hobby.

I'm no fan of the book or the movie. I didn't even know about it until I saw Bachmann's model.

Seasaltchap

They were  doing a "Detailing Job"

It's now a "Soccer Special"

Soccer supporters generally travel in old coach stock, because of the general vandalism of the coaches.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

Rich R

Hmmmmmm,

Try Fenestra Reparo! With a good "swish and flick" Hermione might be able to hit all the broken ones on one side at once?

Had to look that one up, my Latin is really,  really rusty.

Cheers,
Rich R