News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Chattanooga

Started by russelltharratt, February 13, 2009, 08:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russelltharratt

Hi there.
I am new to this hobby of trains, and am enjoying it. I first bought myself and son the Chattanooga. I Love the traditional old trains.
After purchasing the train set, I have also purchased some additional coaches. What I have noticed is that with the set all the wheels are plastic, and those coaches that I bought afterward have metal wheels, I also see that the coaches with the metal wheels pull easier and run further if gently pushed by your hand. I see you can buy metal wheels on their own, can I use these to replace the original plastic wheels of the train set I bought? and also which size 36" or 33". Thank you. Russell

SteamGene

The answer is "Yes."  Replacing plastic with metal wheels is a very good thing to do.  Look at the package of the wheels and it will say "freight" or "passenger."  IIRC, 36" is for passenger.  If you REALLY want to go the last mile, buy a "truck reamer" from a hobby shop or Micro-Mark.  This smooths out the bolsters of the trucks and makes the wheels even more free rolling.
Welcome to the hobby. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

Those Tyco Chattanooga Choo Choos were notoriously bad runners even though there are folks who collect them. You might consider getting yourself another engine that is not 30 years old - try a Bachmann engine (and no I don't work for them!)

tymbomb

Quote from: Woody Elmore on February 14, 2009, 10:27:13 AM
Those Tyco Chattanooga Choo Choos were notoriously bad runners even though there are folks who collect them. You might consider getting yourself another engine that is not 30 years old - try a Bachmann engine (and no I don't work for them!)

He already has a Bachmann engine, the one from the Chattanooga set (see http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1211).

Woody Elmore

As Steve Martin would say: "EXCUSE ME!" I wasn't aware of the Bachmann set and I should have read the post where he said he bought the set.

I wonder who at Bachmann picked the name - I hear Chattanooga and immediately think of the Tyco tender driven engine.

RAM

As a general rule freight cars are 33 inch while passenger car are 36 inch.  How ever the heavy load cars use 36 inch wheeles. 

SteamGene

Woody,
Chattanooga at least was a major Southern rail center.  And there is always the "Pardon me,..."  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"