News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Norfolk and Western 4-8-4

Started by bobv, February 11, 2009, 12:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobv

I just got a new DCC norfolk and Western Spectrum DCC unit.  I am having problems with the tender derailing on curves and switches.  It seems pretty light and the connecting bar between the 2 units sort of binds on curves.  Is there any experience in improving the T shapped bar to let the units run together better?  The bar also lifts the front wheels of the tender off the track.  Any suggestions
Thanks
Bob

SteamGene

The tender is probably too light.  Try adding about an ounce to the front as a start.  Then check the wiring and make sure it is not binding or bothering the drawbar.  Some advocate taking a pair of needle nose pliars and bending the drawbar's end down just a bit.  Try these one at a time, but add weight first.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

bobv

Thank You
I'll give it a try and let you know.

THB-DAVE

If there are 2 holes in the drawbar use the one farthest from the Engine and enlarge the hole a little if its too tight. If there is too much wire hanging out of the tender push it back into the tender. This may help. I am a firm believer in adding weight to my tenders especially over the front truck.

Dave

James in FL

bobv

What scale is this locomotive?

bobv

It is a HO scale loco- and the connection between the tender and loco is an H shaped piece of plastic with 2 points of contact on both the tender and loco.  I think this odd connection is part of the problem-as it isn't so free in lateral movement.  It sort of binds to a certain point and then jumps quickly, which causes de-railing

bobv

thanks to all who weighed in.  I added weight to the tender and retrofitted the plastic connecting bar to not bind.  Seemed to do the trick.  The design of the H shaped connecting bar seemed to be the main problem.
Maybe the Bachmann can weigh in