News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Backdating the Mogul's Domes

Started by Mister Lee, February 14, 2009, 09:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Lee

I am interested in backdating one of my Bachmann 2-6-0s to a late 1880s-1890s appearance (Yes, I have seen that article in the On30 Annual). Does anyone know who makes replacement flanged steam and sand domes that fit the 2-6-0?

I'm looking forward to reading the answer on the boards.

Thank you.

jestor

Boulder Vallet Models makes steam and sand domes for the Bachmann 4-4-0. They may be made to fit the Mogul. Check their web site. They are only about $5 each, so it wouldn't cost much to experiment.

Tomcat

Mister Lee,

best if you check out the PSC parts catalogue - they do have fluted domes (from DRGW C-16 for example) and these brass parts will definitely fit the 2-6-0. I have done this conversion prevously, but sold my Mogul some years ago.

There was another manufacturer I know - Xerodon Designs, but as I have understood, they have discontinued their product line. Maybe if you check for these items on swapmeets, you may be able to find some of their products. They were plastic and/or resin cast, but nevertheless pretty good detailing parts.

If you want to backdate the 2-6-0 a bit more, you may want to add an old style smokestack...?  Bigger, straight stack would be a PSC 1242 (which does fit), a old style oil headlight (PSC), but I donĀ“t have a idea who does make a old Cinder Catcher Style Stack...? All together, this can bring the C&S Style Bachmann more or less look like an old Brooks Engine...! (By the way - Bill Banta does a very nice cab for this loco!!!)

Any comments, On30 folk? Is there someone having an idea who does make old style stacks...???

Cheers, Tom :)

Allamuchy Joe

Wiseman Model Services sells loco detail parts. He has old time stacks. His link is www.wisemanmodelservices.com.

Here is the link to the loco parts:

http://www.locopainter.com/store/category.php?id=38

Joe

Woody Elmore

There is a brass model available of the C&S bear catcher cinder trap - I think from PSC.

Xeodon is no longer in business. Too bad - I got a few nice things from him.

Tomcat

Too bad folks: I did forget about my dear friend Keith Wiseman.
Pam and Keith have masses of detail parts in stock.

They did perfect Shay boiler conversion kits in brass some years ago.
Did get two of them ready built for my Bachmann On30 Shays, a 1890 Gilpin-style
and a 1920 style model. They had sold out them in weeks....

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)