Spectrum 2-10-2 Light, Spectrum 2-10-0 Russian and Steamer pigtails

Started by OkieRick, February 15, 2009, 12:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

I have the two Bachmann Steam Locos listed above.  The 2-10-2 Light is DCC equipped.  The 2-10-0 Russian is "DCC Ready."  Both locos have two sets of wires connected to plastic connectors that plug into the tenders.

I don't have a DCC setup yet - just DC.

Are the wiring and connectors between the steam locomotives and their tenders of a Spectrum series a typical Bachmann setup?  Are all their steam locomoives like this?

The locomotives have the wiring and plastic male plug that inserts into the female connections of the tender.

Here is a Bachmann picture for reference.  These wires / plugs are what I'm asking about.

Okie Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Nigel

They are not all the same.  Some will interchange, some will not.  There are at least two different "flavors", possibly three or more.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

pdlethbridge

There is a small board in the tender that these wires are attached to. There is a NMRA 8 pin plug on the board with a dummy plug to run on a DC system. Decoders with a 8 pin male plug would fit in that board. The board is there to comply with Different countries that have laws about electrical emissions, like when a train runs and it causes the TV to buzz.

Yampa Bob

Hi Rick,
I posted some pictures and pin-out information in this thread that might help. They are not the same as your tenders, but just for reference. I would suggest using a Bachmann decoder in the tender, better chance of being compatible with the pc board. With another brand decoder, you may have to clip the suppression capacitors on the board.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

As mentioned, there are at least 2 different plug configurations.  The tender you show has the female plugs on the tender, that plug into the male connector on the locomotive.  I believe your Russian has the wires/plugs coming out of the loco, to be plugged into the tender, similar to the Spectrum 2-8-0.

The separately available USRA tenders, like the one I show in my thread, come with an adapter harness to use either way, however the harness is not wired correctly for all locomotives which can result in incorrect direction of loco. 

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

OkieRick

Quote from: Nigel on February 15, 2009, 12:11:20 AM
They are not all the same.  Some will interchange, some will not.  There are at least two different "flavors", possibly three or more.

I don't want to interchange or rearrange.  These two locos are my first Bachmanns.  I just want to know if all Steam locomotives and tenders have the wiring harnesses on the locomotive (where mine are located) that plug into the tender.

I posted the pic of the tender because (a) it depicted the two connectors I have onboard my locos and (b) the picture was handy.  The wiring and female connectors are attached to my two Spectrum locomotives - not on my tenders[/i].  I hope I didn't throw anyone with the pic of the tender I got over in HO Products.

Thanks-
Rick

OkieRick

Quote from: pdlethbridge on February 15, 2009, 12:13:07 AM
There is a small board in the tender that these wires are attached to. There is a NMRA 8 pin plug on the board with a dummy plug to run on a DC system. Decoders with a 8 pin male plug would fit in that board. The board is there to comply with Different countries that have laws about electrical emissions, like when a train runs and it causes the TV to buzz.

Is it possibly as easy as plugging a DCC decoder into that 8 pin Male plug to convert the Spectrum 2-10-0 Russian Decapod to DCC? 

My Spectrum 2-10-2 "Light" has DCC onboard but no sound.  Could this be easily converted to have sound also?

The more I read the more I learn.  The more I learn the more I need to learn.  Sometimes terminology gets doesn't make a bit of sence.  I worked on a Zenith tv repair bench in two towns working my way through college.  That was back in 1970 through 1973.  I remember vacuum tubes - not PCBs.

Some may say after reading my posts, "pick it up and look at it."  I would if I could but I'm a quad - paralyzed from the armpit area down.  I keyboard with a mouthstick and have an electronic head control on my powerchair.  I've been paralyzed since Dec 1973.  I'm back into HO RR'ing after packing my first 8' x 16' Tyco layout away in 1968.  Lots of things have changed since then.

Thanks-
Rick

OkieRick

Quote from: Yampa Bob on February 15, 2009, 06:05:26 AM
Hi Rick,
I posted some pictures and pin-out information in this thread that might help. They are not the same as your tenders, but just for reference. I would suggest using a Bachmann decoder in the tender, better chance of being compatible with the pc board. With another brand decoder, you may have to clip the suppression capacitors on the board.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

As mentioned, there are at least 2 different plug configurations.  The tender you show has the female plugs on the tender, that plug into the male connector on the locomotive.  I believe your Russian has the wires/plugs coming out of the loco, to be plugged into the tender, similar to the Spectrum 2-8-0.

The separately available USRA tenders, like the one I show in my thread, come with an adapter harness to use either way, however the harness is not wired correctly for all locomotives which can result in incorrect direction of loco. 

Regards.

I just got some pictures taken which is what I should have done.  The steam locomotives and their tenders, all Spectrum Series, are pictured below.

This is the 2-10-0 Russian Decapod advertised as "DCC Ready."  The locomotive is equipped with the wiring and 4pin & 2pin male plugs.  The tender accepts the connections.  The 4pin ocket is horizontal and the 2pin socket is perpendicular.

This is the 2-10-2 "Light" with DCC onboard.  The loco s on it's ide.  The locomotive accepts the 4pin and 2pin plugs.  Both sockets are horizontal.  The wires originate from the tender.

Another passing thought - do these two pins and wiring date my locmotives?  I opened these "new in the box" in January 09, purchased from the stock of a Tulsa hobby store.  When I opened one a card for a 'new' 2003 catalogue fell out.  The other had a similar dated card for a Thomas catalogue.

Thanks,
Rick with a stick

grumpy

Rick
It seems that a lot of us are handicapped one way or another.
Most locos have the connection from the tender to operate under DCC with the wires and plug as shown . This a general statement because there are some variations in the configuration. If you want to install a decoder in your 2-10-0 you will have to remove the cover on the tender , take the plug out of the circuit board and in place plug in the decoder . Suggest you use Bachman decoder to ensure compatibilityand then reassemble.Put it on the track and test it . Hopefully if all goes well it will work as it should . I have given you a fairly simple explanation . Others may fill in the details.
Don

Yampa Bob

If this is confusing to you, you're not alone.

Last year I purchased four USRA Medium tenders from an online source. I later discovered the tenders were "first release", made over 7 years ago. The tenders would not work with any brand of decoder, including Bachmann.

There appears to be no logical reason for the two different harness/plug configurations, and there is no assurance that we are buying current production models.  I also found a card for a 2005 catalog with a recently purchased 2-8-0. It's a bit irritating to pay 2009 prices for a 4 year old locomotive.

Bachmann installs several noise suppression components on their printed circuit boards to comply with strict European regulations. Bachmann decoders are designed to be compatible with these components without any modifications to the PC board.  That's why we recommend using Bachmann decoders in Bachmann tenders.  You may pay a few dollars more for a genuine Bachmann decoder, but you have a better chance for a "plug and play" installation.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Actually I've been successful putting digitrax decoders in a h-16-44 diesel (hardwire ) and plug and play in a decapod. Rick, welcome to the group and I'm handicapped as well, a very bad stroke 10 years ago messed up the right side of my body so I can only do things one handed. Bob can barely see, I can barely walk, you've got a stick and Grumpy, well he's just grumpy.. What a crew,,, What a crew... ;D ;D ;D ;D

SteamGene

You are making me feel absolutly superhuman!  :D  After all, I'm only 65 and can sort of see and sort of hear out of both eyes and ears.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Pacific Northern

Note the Spectrum Russian 2-10-0 was first released in 2002 and the Santa Fe 2-10-2 in 2006.
Given the number of engines produced it is quite possible to buy one of these engines today.

Pacific Northern

OkieRick

Ok, when I get to the Russian I'll for sure consult with the Bachmann Technicians.  Meanwhile back on the 2-10-2 with the harness & plugs coming from the tender and connecting to the locomotive pictured below, one more thing... 

The black & gold box it came in has a sticker proudly announcing "DCC ONBOARD."  Can I be safe in assuming this locomotive & tender is DCC ready to roll right out of the box or[/B] should I consult with Mr. Bach Mann or a Techie here at Bachmann?

Many thanks people-
Rick

SteamGene

"DCC On Board" means that the locomotive comes with a Bachmann decoder installed.  It's in the tender.  You should also have a set of jumpers if you want to run pure DC.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

OkieRick

I called Bachmann today and talked to Customer Service.  He verified that the 2-10-2 Light with "DCC ONBOARD" did have DCC loaded & ready to go.  I seized the moment (a bit a drama here for you fellows) to tell him I was ready to add Sound to this locomotive.  He referred me to Soundtraxx as that is who is their main Sound supplier.

I called Soundtraxx, explained to the guy I was speaking with about my Locomotive & tender wiring situation - which plugs went where & where they originated.  He suggested the Tsunami TSU-1000 for Heavy Steam - that the DCC decoder onboard beneath the tender cover had an 8-pin connector with a wired plug in it.  Take the tender apart, plug in the TSU-1000 where the plug is now and add a speaker - usually a 1" round because of little available space.  Re-assemble the tender, plug it in and listen to over 22 steam sound effects including whistl, bell, air pump, exhaust chuff, coupler, brake squeal, water hatch opening, water filling, steam release, cylinder cocks, snifter valves, brake release, side rod clank, Johnson bar/power reverse, blower, injector, pop valve and Fireman Fred.

The TSU-1000 is the purple unit.  I have it on good authority - step up here Yampa Bob - there is an 8-pin socket on one end to plug into the PCB of the DCC decoder board. 

Now can someone tell me where that lone wire on the other end goes?

Courtesy of Walthers.com...

Thanks-
Okie Rick 'n stick