What angle EZ-Track crossover for Double crossover?

Started by karmakreations, February 23, 2009, 09:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karmakreations

I am trying to build a double crossover using 4 standard EZ-Track switches, 2 left and 2 right. Does any one know what angle crossover I need to use to get them to line up so I have 2 parallel tracks that can cross over both directions?

Thanks

Yampa Bob

Karma,
There are many threads on the board relating to your question. At the top menu, click the "search" button.

In the search box, enter "turnouts to parallel tracks"  (without the quotes). Also try "crossovers to parallel", etc.

Hope this helps.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Joe Satnik

Dear karmakreations,

Use the 60 degree crossing # 44542.  I believe there is only the 3" long version. 

Some online sites show a 12" version, but I think it is just an old pre-production photo-shop monstrosity that never existed.

Ask, though, to have it measured if you can't see it in person.  You want the 3" crossing. 

You will have to cut two 5-19/32" fitter straights for the mainlines between the switches.

Centerline distances between the mainlines is 6-9/32".

Longer distances are doable, but shorter would be harder. 

Atlas's snap-switch (20 degree departure angle possible with removal of the 10 degree curve) allows a closer centerline distance between mainlines. 

Have you priced a regular non-roadbed double crossover?  (Peco, perhaps?)  How does it compare in total cost to 4 Bachmann remote switches, a 60 degree crossing and 2 custom made fitter straights?

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

one of the lines carried by The Engine Tender
Product line list
Shinohara Track Description    Stock #    Scale    Sale Price    MSRP

Cd 100 #4 dbl Crossover    669-111    HO    $45.23    $57.25
Cd 100 #6 dbl Crossover    669-112    HO    $45.23    $57.25
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

karmakreations

Thanks for the help Joe.
That is exactly what I was trying to find out. I allready have a stack of EZ turnouts and am trying to use only EZ track on this layout.
I have another non EZ track layout with several Shinohara double crossovers and they are great for getting a lot of switching in to a short track run.
Thanks everyone for the info.

By the way does any one know what crossing to use with atlas #4 turnouts to do the same thing?  I have a stack of #4 customline turnouts and crossovers are much cheaper than the Shinohar double cossover.

Joe Satnik

Atlas # 4 is actually a #4-1/2, according to John Armstrong.  That gives a frog and departure angle of 12.5 degrees. 

Double that for a double crossover. 

The 25 degree crossing is what you are looking for.

Code 100 is item # 172.

I don't have the critical turnout dimensions to tell me what length fitter straights you'll need.  It could be either 2 mainline fitters, or 4 crossing fitters that you would need to cut to make it all work.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

karmakreations