2-4-2; Pickup problems and gears, typical problems? How old is it?

Started by bnsonger47, January 03, 2009, 06:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charon

Mesquite Short Line

bnsonger47

Nice jobs with both bashes.

The gears are the problem. So, Barry, why don't I just ship you this unit and my 10-wheeler and give you most of my money to fix me up?

Before you take me up on this, you might ask how much money I do or don't have. : > )

Actually, I'll pull it apart next week. I do like the looks of this small loco.
Byron Songer
Victorian Crossing
Louisville, KY

Barry BBT

Brian,

Please do.  I am at:

6822 W. Villa St.
Phoenix, AZ 85043

623-936-6088

I'll look everything over, tell you what I see and what I can do and what it will cost.  I won't waste your time or mine.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Old John

Like Dave, in New Zealand, I've had Tender version 2-4-2 running in thew Florida

Old John

Sorry about the partial post, but I've had mine running in the Florida sun and salt air since September 2002, only requirement - lots of lube. I use a grease intended for plastic pool valves, it with stands high heat, impervious to water (both fresh and salt), doesn't throw off the gears, plastic compatible and only cost about $3.00 an ounce.

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dave

I use the Lube Grease that is in VHS players. Plastic compatable and does'nt break down in the heat. On side Rods and slides,axles and the such I use Power Steering Oil. It is designed for use with plastic and Nylon parts and so far after 8 years it has'nt done any damage to my Loco's or Rolling Stock.

Dave

New Zealand

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Old John

Loco Bill,

The Grease is called "Lube Tube", available in any swimming pool supply store. Features listed on the bsck of the tube are "Waterproof, non-toxic, biodegradable, prevents rust & corrosion, compatible with plastics, metals & rubber, non-dripping, non-flammable, non-staining and odorless". All for $2.95.

John