News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Multiple Units

Started by trainkrzy, February 20, 2009, 10:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainkrzy

I run an ABBA all powered set of ALCO P's on my layout. It's a pain to keep them all in sync. Can I link all the reverse boards together so that they will get their signal from just one? I know I will have to run a wire from unit to unit.    Thank you    bj

3rail

Hi trainkrzy,

This assumes that all of your units start in the same direction when in the lash-up.  If units are fighting each other on the initial startup, you will need to reverse the motor wires on the unit(s) that initially start(s) in reverse.

Here is the key to keeping multiple units in sync.

When changing directions, make sure to use the direction button and not the throttle lever.

PRESS AND HOLD the direction button for 1 FULL SECOND after the train has come to a COMPLETE STOP.  Press and hold for one full second for every sequence.

The reason for this procedure is that while the train is drifting with the power off, the motors act as generators keeping power to the reverse boards.  Also, electronic components can vary values +/- 10% so the full second allows all stored energy in the capacitors to bleed off.

If you follow these instructions, this should work every time.  If you forget and they do get out of sync, turn off the power for 15 seconds and they should all reset to the forward direction.

Try this and let me know if it works for you.

Regards,

3rail

DominicMazoch

I can run 3 SD90's , and can keep all in sync.  But I do run them in elephant style.

Somehow, I wish WBB would have some sort of switch on the e-unit to lock them in one direction.  I could even see a switch on the e-unit itself where you have to remove the body to set it.  That way, no running of wires or e-unit levers.

trainkrzy

You didn't answer my question!  I don't want to have to sync. them everytime. I want to connect them together so I don't have to. Maybe I posted this in the wrong place, if so tell me where I need to post it.

DominicMazoch

You could disconnect the e-units on some of the units, and hot wire from the one you use.  But I don't lnow how many motors an e-unit can control without burning up.

3rail

Hi trainkrzy,

You said keeping them in sync was a pain, I told you the correct way to do it.  No pain, no modifications.

You cannot hook 4 powered units together with one reverse board. The board is rated for 6 amps and two motors draw about 2-2.5 amps.  Four units would draw 8-10 amps and that would burn out the board.

You could hook two units together, but no more.  You would simply run the two motor wires from one unit and hook them to the motors on the other unit.  You could then remove one of the reverse boards.  But you would still have to keep two boards in sync.

Regards,

3rail