Red Wire in 2-10-2 Light tender - broken or not?

Started by OkieRick, February 24, 2009, 10:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

Good Evening,

Inside my 2-10-2 Light Steam Locomotive tender I've run across a lone Red wire that looks as though it may have been soldered to the nut and screw it is laying beside.  It's the Red wire on the left side of the tender ending at the shiny screw.  If you have been in your 2-10-2 tender and recall where this should lay I'd appreciate in knowing.  The exploded view pdf doesn't show the insides of a DCC wired tender.  I'm adding a Tsunmi TSU-1000 for Heavy Steam Sound Decoder with the assistance of many here.

If you know if this Red wire should or shouldn't be attached to the nut or screw post it here or send email.

Thanks-
Okie Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

The "shiny screw and nut" holds on the front truck. Under the nut there is a small solder tab, a red wire should be soldered to the tab. The front truck wheels pick up power from the right rail through the screw.

There is another screw and nut holding on the rear truck. There should also be a wire soldered to the tab under the nut.  The rear truck wheels pick up power from the left rail.

The tender wheel pickups complement the pickups from the locomotive for better conductivity of power to the decoder.

Refer to the wiring diagram in the following thread to confirm the wiring connections so you don't create a short. In the diagram, the wiring scheme on the left is the most common. The scheme on the right is just a variant I have found on some tenders, and probably doesn't apply to your tender.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

Notice the wire from the front truck tab, and the wire from the rear truck tab are connected to two separate terminals on the circuit board labeled "Input".

The picture directly above the wiring diagram shows the pickup wiring from the locomotive, again note the red wire leading to the front tender screw solder tab.

The first picture, bottom view, shows the typical and proper orientation for the tender wheels. If the wheels are not oriented exactly as shown, you will have a short.

Suggest you download the wiring diagram and pictures for future reference. Though not depicting your tender, the wiring schemes and wheel orientation are typical for most Bachmann tenders.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

OkieRick

Photos were grabbed and thred was bookmarked.  Thanks for your time & trouble.  It is appreciated.

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

Always glad to help, Rick.  Be careful soldering the wire on the tab so as not to melt the plastic bolster.  I don't advise removing the bolt, but I would have someone hold the nut with a pair of pliers to act as a heat sink while soldering the wire.

If you do elect to remove the bolt, be sure the truck wheels are oriented correctly when re-assembling. (note one wheel of each wheelset is insulated from the axle).
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.