News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Layouts

Started by jowalmer, February 21, 2009, 12:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jowalmer

I've searched the web for sites that offer layouts.  Most of what I have found is books that you have to puschase.  Then, I just read a thread that had a link to a page with layouts.  Anyone know of other sites that post HO layouts so that I can get ideas?  Thanks.

Yampa Bob

This site has lots of layouts.

http://www.thortrains.net/

Scroll down to HO section.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jowalmer

Thanks guys.  I checked them out and will use them for ideas.

I am thinking of a 2 to 3 main line layout with a yard for switching.  Again, the sites above will be useful.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

SteamGene

What size layout are you planning?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jowalmer

6X10 is what I was contemplating, however, after reviewing layouts contained on the links above, I'm thinking maybe two 4X8 sections arranged in an 'L.' 
I figure with an 'L' I can have at least one extra long main line traveling the entire 'L' with 2 separate shorter lines one on each 4X8.  Then somewhere in there put in a yard.

Yampa Bob

With a layout that size, hopefully you will have all around access.  According to John Armstrong, you should never have to reach more than two feet, I have found 30 inches to be the maximum for comfort.

If you have to place it against a wall, suggest putting in on casters so you can move it out while running.  Remember with an "L" arrangement, it's a long reach to the far corner.

You might also consider a "dogbone", straight on the back side, but narrow in the middle on the near side, with loops at the ends.

Joe Satnik

Dear jowalmer,

Start with 5 feet (= 60 inches, 30" reach) width. 

This allows up to 28" radius curves (vs. 22"R for 4 feet). 

You'll be thankful down the line for the extra foot of width.  As Bob said, use casters to access the other side if short on space.   

I suggest you check out or buy John Armstrong's "Track Planning for Realistic Operation, 3rd Edition" or any other Armstrong track planning book.

You may want to consider a different layout shape.

He shows 6 basic layout types. 

1. Island (the familiar rectangular sheet)

2. Doughnut (Island with hole in middle and duck under or lift bridge)

3. Along the wall with lift bridge or duck under

4. Around the room with stair access to the interior from another floor.

5. Island walk in.

6. Along the wall walk in. 

Numbers 3 and 4 allow the longest radius curves.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Yampa Bob

Joe
I didn't have John Armstrong's book when we built our layout. Recently a friend sent me a box of old cars to fix up, and in the box was John's second edition. I was suprised to find our layout pictured on page 22, except I used a parallel ladder arrangement.

I like the way he split the yard and ran it on the diagonal for more storage. Looks like I'll be making a few changes again.  :D

His diagram on the "double saw" was also a great help in using our short runaround siding.

glsummers

If you want to see an HO layout in progress. You can check out what I am doing on my web site. Type into your address bar at the top larrystrain.org and see the progress of the Salamanca Branch of the PRR.

pdlethbridge

link is broken, takes you to larrystrain.com, a store

Joe Satnik

Bob,

The pages must be different between the second and third editions.

Is there a figure number and figure title on the page you are referencing?  The first sentence might help, too. 

Glad you are getting something out of the book.  It is a valuable reference.   

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

bevernie

;DGREETINGS!! PDLETHBRIDGE, perhaps something is wrong with something, but his sight came up GREAT on my computer!! :o Larry, are you from Dothan? I'm about a hundred miles north of you in the BIG city of Salem! (Actually, I'm in the suburbs of Salem, right on the outskirts of Crawford!) Many moons ago, back in about '72, I drove a furniture truck in Dothan! That was when I played drums for THE GOSPELAIRES, of Enterprise. ::) Actually, I was born and raised in Columbus, GA.!
                                                                                                THANX!!
                                                         8)                                       Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Yampa Bob

Joe,
In my edition, it's the last "customized track plan example", on the last page of Chapter 2.  First sentence: "The source is layout 20 from the book 101 Track Plans". There is also reference to a "pin wheel ladder", and the layout features a turntable and 5 stall roundhouse.

I haven't nailed down the tracks in my yards yet, I need to study this plan more. My goal is 2 large yards, one for "Phippsburg" the other for "Craig", with maximum storage, enough for about 60 cars,12 locomotives and 4 switchers.   

glsummers

Mr Bridge,
You have to type larrystrain.org in the address bar; you cannot use goggle or some other search engine. Thanks Ernie that you found the site. Yes I am just outside of Dothan in a little town called Slocomb. I actually lived two years in Enterprise and that is when I got back into the hobby after being absent for about 15 years. By the way I am leading music in a church in Pinckard, AL. I actually was born in PA and that is why I am modeling the PRR. I give a lot of history as to why I model that area in the web site. I hope you got a chance to read it. The hobby has been a blessing for me after having a lot of heart problems. It is the greatest hobby I know of and you meet some of the greatest folks across the country. Blessings to all. Larry