News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New layout and passenger cars

Started by patzwaldb, February 21, 2009, 02:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patzwaldb

I am working on a new layout plan.  I remember from the old days that the 85' passenger cars required a large radius.  I looked in the catalog and it didn't say what to use.  Any advise?
Lionel Bob

SteamGene

Your answer depends on the builder of the 85' car.  Walther's will require AT LEAST 22" - probably more.  Con-Cor and Rivarossi may well get away with 18".  However, they will have an enormous amount of overhang even at 30", especially the Walthers. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

patzwaldb

I have some spectrum cars now running on a 22" radius track that are the old style couplers and they have a tendency to unhook on the corners.  Are the new scale couplers better on that issue?
Lionel Bob

SteamGene

I THINK what you have are the original Bachmann knuclke couplers with the whisker spring.  They can "tire" very easily.  You need to replace them with Kadee #5's or 148s.  I forgot about Bachmann - they should handle 18 - but again you have the overhang issue. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Pacific Northern

Check out the passenger cars being produced by Rapido.  If necessary these cars can run on 18" curves although they look far better on larger curves.

Note that Rapido is also coming out with another set of passenger cars soon, the Pullman-Standard's lightweight Osgood-Bradley coaches
Pacific Northern

adari

i used to use mine on 22 inch but im building a layout with 30inch

SvFiat

Hi, Just to throw some factual numbers around. The numbers are for a 22" radius.

A Bachmann heavy weight PRR
car length 10 3/4" wheel base 7 3/8" center to center hangs out even to the ez track roadbed
A IHC heavy weight C&O
car length 11 1/8" wheel base 8" center to center hangs out 1/16" over the ez track roadbed
An Acela Amfleet
car length 11 1/2" wheel base 8 3/16" center to center hangs out 1/8" over the ez track roadbed

Hope this was helpful.

Have Fun

PhilipCal

Due to space limitations, I've been "locked" into 18 radius for years. Rivarossi, IHC, Con-Cor, and Rapido cars,all scale 85 ft ,handle these well. Yes, there is overhang, but I guess I've learned to live with it. OTH, if you can utilize 22 radius or larger, that's the way to go.

SteamGene

Quite frankly, I'm appalled at the large cars being promoted.  Most of the buyers are likely young without the space for a layout suitable for the car.  If truth were known, my largest locomotive should be a 2-8-2, and I have 30" diameter curves. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

pdlethbridge

I have several old ambroid passenger cars, B&M 60 footers, and they look terrible on my 22" radius curves

mf5117

i also want passenger cars .will have an 18" and a 22" rad .but all i see is the long cars. can someone also help me with a loco issue . what loco would you  recommend elec or diesel for pulling a load up a grade .i have the bachmann dcc and have exspanded .to a large 4x8 ft layout . my outter 22" rad will have a elevated section . thanks

regards mark f

mf5117

and by the way i'm a newbie with confidence lol not experience .but doing a great job . my track shipped will get it thursday . my old lady is doing a great job on the senery . not long MF LINES & CHEEZY SYSTEMS .will be up and running

mf5117

hey thanks yampa bob i will look into what you described .again thanks for your help . i found some 60' ers in a 4 pack at a shop in houston .the guy had a good selection . once i get the rest of my layout and elevated "trial" then i will go from there .cause i know im going to change up more of my layout until i get content with the way my layout and line will run .will its 12:10 am and got to get to work . i run the knight shift where i work . regards: mark f

WGL

I'd prefer 72' passenger cars on my 22" curves, instead of 85' cars, but the only ones I've found are Athearn with truck-mounted knuckle (without springs) couplers.  Walthers' catalog usually says that their passenger cars are recommended for 24" or wider curves.

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat