News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New layout and passenger cars

Started by patzwaldb, February 21, 2009, 02:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmaster971

The older Athearn passenger cars also have talgo mounted couplers which are very easily replaced with kadees.  These will operate on 18" radius curves. They can be found on ebay quite frequently at reasonable prices.

Ben
Montgomery, Alabama

Atlantic Central

Gene,

I don't recall IHC ever making 72' passeger cars. Their cars are knock offs of the old Rivarossi cars which are all full scale lengths.

To all:

Athearn cars, both heavyweight and streamlined, kit and Ready to Roll, are all available and in current production. Remember, "discontinued" is Athearn speak for out of stock until the next batch is run. The Athearn cars are 72' (the RPO is 67') and run well on sharp to meduim curves. And their selectively compressed size makes them look really good on larger curves.

Con Cor also makes a nice line of 72' smooth side streamliners in a vast list of roadnames.

Currently out of production are the MDC Harriman cars which are only 60', also great for small layouts. They can still be found on e-bay and at train shows.

ALSO - prototype passenger cars where not/are not all 85' long. Sure most modern streamlined cars built after 1938 or so where/are, but many heavyweights where various lengths from 60' to 85'. Yes, Pullman sleepers, diners, observations, lounges, etc, where generally 85'. But many coaches, combines, baggage, RPO's, Parlors, etc where shorter than 85'.

In the case of the Athearn heavyweights, only the Pullman and the diner are without similar lenght prototypes.

And, while somewhat plan right out of the box, the Atearn cars are easy to detail for a very effective look.

I have 36" radius curves and above and still prefer Athearn and Con Cor 72' cars for their better appearance. I would suggest to anyone, unless you are really set on exact scale accuracy, or you have 48" curves, you consider selectively compressed passenger cars like those from Athearn and Con Cor. They make your layout look BIGGER!

Sheldon

Santa Fe buff

Walthers is releasing quite a bit of HO scale passenger cars, but I like Spectrum better... More detail then Walthers' standard.

My friend, 9911A E5, has a Spectrum ATSF heavyweight parlor car that is very detailed. Although the lighting system is damaged, he likes it.

His heavyweight runs find on 18" radius, and (I think) it's an 85 footer... You'd have to ask him.
Although, I would go with Sheldon's advice on the radius turns. As for me, I'm running a straight 18" radius. So I'm not going anywhere near 85'.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

WGL

Sheldon,
  Thanks for the information.  I'd seen only 72' Athearns with truck-mounted couplers.

Walthers is releasing a 72' smooth baggage car next month (GN & UP, among others).  They don't say when they might have coaches, diners & others.  The price is $50. with lights costing extra.  Walters often has sales, though.

SteamGene

Sheldon, My brain said Con-Cor and my fingers typed IHC.  Such is life.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene,

I've been known to do that too, and I'm younger than you. Somehow I knew it was that sort of thing.

Sheldon