News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Clockmaster

Started by TheDude, January 22, 2009, 03:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDude

Lacking room for my plans of a 4x8, I decided to go with a shelf layout based on John Allen's famous Timesaver switching puzzle. The plan is based on a modification of Allen's original by Emrys Hopkins.

The excitement of the moment made me want to rush, and I kinda did–this part was done in 2 nights (~10 hrs.) with what general tools I had at hand. This ain't no pro job, but what the hell, a smidgen of realism is fine to be sacrificed for the sake of pride in accomplishing something!

First job was to cover the 1x6 ft. board with fabric. Easier than I thought it would be thanks to Mr. Staple Gun.

Laying the first strip of roadbed in place.

Nailing down the first strips. Remember, measure twice and hammer once!

The first 3 feet of roadbed in place!

After 3 more feet, with track put in place for testing (not nailed down.)

The Irish express engine was my test loco, and it ran perfectly in preliminary tests (aka Can't Wait to Run Trains Time!)

Percy poses at the north end.

My first real challenge–filling the gap between the switch and siding...

...so it's Mr. Atlas Super Saw to the rescue!

With a little grunt work, the first switch is down.

Obstacle #2–the crossing.

The crossing is set in place–albeit a tad crooked.

The south end of the yard after the first two sidings were down...

...and the north.

Overall view after 1/2 to 2/3 completion of the Clockmaster Mark I. What's going in that blank strip, you ask? Well...

...that's what these are for–two more sidings on a simple crossover.

Youch, that switch box is cramped! Better add some track in between.

Laying down the roadbed for the north siding, and adding support for the adjacent switch mechanism–the latter was done with all switches.

Some views of the double siding. Track and roadbed are (for) now complete!

Overall view.

An old Pannier tank pulls in with a goods while James shunts.

"Edward had warned Percy–'Be careful on the main line. Whistle to the signalman you are there.' "

So that's it for the moment! I plan to expand later when the switching possibilities here begin to tire me–lengthwise or forming an L. Scenery will obviously be added, perhaps a backdrop if I can swing it. What do you think?

Michael J. Caboose

That looks great! Can't wait to see what else you add.  :)

I couldn't help but chuckle at the Edward quote.

MJC

alex wittman

that looks nice, i am building one myself, but it will be 2x4 and 1 inch thick pieces of foam boards, i will be making it soon. all in all nice job

alex wittman

when will it be finished? will there be more pictures too.

Michigan Railfan

Dude,

Do you live in the U.K. or the U.S.?  Just wondering because you had Atlas track, and what I think I saw was a Duck model.  If you live in the U.K., where did you get Atlas track, and if you live in the U.S., where did you get the Duck model, because it looks like Hornby's ( since that's the only model train manufacturer that makes a Duck model so far :P).

Cheeky_ULP

I live in the USA and I have a Duck model. I get them off of Ebay. :P

StanierJack

It's a hornby pannier tank. There are more to panniers than Duck you know...  :P

Just been out and got one myself for a project...  ;D

Michigan Railfan

Jack,

I realize there are more Pannier tanks than Duck, but if you look closely, you can see the letters GWR. Sparks, forgot that you can buy them off E-Bay :P

StanierJack

Quote from: indianajones12 on February 16, 2009, 11:43:43 AM
Jack,

I realize there are more Pannier tanks than Duck, but if you look closely, you can see the letters GWR. Sparks, forgot that you can buy them off E-Bay :P

Most panniers carried 'GWR' at some point in their lives...

Michigan Railfan

So then is the Great Western Railroad real? Sorry, but I don't live in the U.K., which is why I wouldnt know. ;)

StanierJack

Quote from: IndianaJones12 on February 16, 2009, 03:57:59 PM
So then is the Great Western Railroad real? Sorry, but I don't live in the U.K., which is why I wouldnt know. ;)

It's probably one of the best known, and longest lived.

Cheeky_ULP

Time to do some research then. :P The Great Western Railway (Great Western Railroad is an American railroad...) was one of the big four in Britian before Nationalization. It also holds off for having the most (as far as I know) preserved engines.

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: Sparks on February 16, 2009, 04:35:26 PM
Time to do some research then. :P The Great Western Railway (Great Western Railroad is an American railroad...) was one of the big four in Britian before Nationalization. It also holds off for having the most (as far as I know) preserved engines.

Oh, I didnt know that the Great Western Railroad is American, and that the Great Western Railway is actually real :P