News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

90 degree crossover

Started by tcicca5111, February 22, 2009, 03:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcicca5111

When I install the crossover it shorts out all the track what am i doing wrong.

Jim Banner

I assume you are talking about a 90 degree crossing.  With the crossing removed from the railroad, use an ohm meter to make sure the left and right rails are not shorting.  Test both routes through the crossing.

With some crossing designs, they will work when installed one way but not when turned 90 degrees.  You did not mention what brand of crossing you have or what scale, so check this possibility too.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

I don't know what brand of crossing you are using, but I found a website that speaks to installing Peco Electrofrog crossings (the brand I use) http://www.loystoys.com/peco/about-crossings.html. As you read through the information (which was provided by Loy's Toys), you can tailor it to meet your needs. Notice the use of insulating joiners. I hope this helps.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we are dealing with the dreaded reversing loop...

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Len

You don't provide enough info to offer any help.

If what you're doing is using the 90-deg crossing to put a figure-8 into an existing loop, you're actually creating two reversing loops.

They will have to be isolated from the rest of the track with insulated rail joiners, and an additional direction control switch or auto reverse unit will be needed. Otherwise you will short out your track.

There are numerous wiring books, and on-line pages, that show how to wiring this type of configuration correctly.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

bevernie

;DGREETINGS!! Many moons ago, I had a similar problem with two turnouts that I had bought at a train show. They were still in the original package, but when I hooked them up, they shorted everything out! ??? I called BACHMANN, and the nice lady told me that they would just send me two new turnouts, even though, she explained, they don't usually warrantee goods bought at train shows!! :o
    CALL BACHMANN!! ;)
                                                                                               THANX!!
                                                               8)                                Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com