News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-8-4s Selling Like Hotcakes

Started by WGL, February 24, 2009, 09:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

Is this typical of hobbyists, buying an average of 1 locomotive a month?  Since you've bought so many, Bob, they should make a large print catalog for you.   :)  I will blame my binge on BLI for delaying my SD40-2 from January to April.   ;)  I hadn't bought a loco for about 4 months.

Thanks, RAM.  Since oil can't be shovelled, I don't see how it gets to the locomotive.

Robertj668

I too just bought a 2005 Release DCC EQUIPPED Bachmann SPECTRUM item number 82121 HO Norfolk & Western Class J 4-8-4 Locomotive Version #610. from on eBay from the same guy "The Favorite Spot" for less than $60! He is great to deal with and the prices are great too! I am lucky as his place is about 45 min from the house. So I just go and pick the items up.  But that's bad too because I am too tempted to keep buying. And I do.

Anyway I am trying to figure out the required turn radius for it.  We are still building the railway.  Most of my railway is 18 degrees 44580 and the Main line is 22 degrees 44583. I am using the standard DCC switch 44130 and 44131 and also using the cross over DCC too.

WGL

I noticed that several bidders won for less than I paid.  I have purchased several train items from him.  The shipping charge does hurt, but his prices are good.  I bought 2 Spectrum passenger cars at the same time & saved $5-$6 on shipping.

Let us know how it works for you.  Looking at them on MBKlein's modeltrainstuff.com I saw a description stating that a minimum radius of 22" is recommended.  That's what I'm using.

Robertj668

WGL
I am watching some auctions tonight and see a few of them end at prices cheaper than I paid. But still a great price.  Thanks for the help we may only be able to run the engine on the "Main Line" only.
Robert

grumpy

I have a 4-8-4  that runs fine on 18" curves but I am not a rivet counter.
Don

WGL

Robertj668, buying a 4-8-4 & a 2-10-2 in one week on eBay is enough for me for now!  I also bought 3 Con Cor 72' passenger cars on eBay for my 4-8-4.  I'll probably make it a combined passenger & freight train.

Grumpy, that's fine with me.  My inner oval has 18" curves.  Is it a Bachmann loco?  Did you have any problem with the pony truck slipping off the rails?  Mine does at turnouts.  I will try adding a little weight to the truck.

mf5117

hello everyone . i also got my bachmann 4-8-4 santa fe and passenger set in today . shipped from train world in new york monday got it today .i live near houston .   i saw there add in the model railroader mag . in stock with dcc was $89.00 . once i got it on the rails and ran a few minutes . it ran rather well . but was only running 1/2 throttle . i did have a low coupler on the tender .and the passenger cars were uncoupling on the curves 22"rad .but a small problem that can be fixed . am going to buy another 70ton switcher. the black and yellow rio grande . well breaks over and got to get back to work ..... have a good night regards mark f

TexasChief

Quote from: WGL on March 04, 2009, 02:53:20 AM
  Is this typical of hobbyists, buying an average of 1 locomotive a month?  Since you've bought so many, Bob, they should make a large print catalog for you.   :)  I will blame my binge on BLI for delaying my SD40-2 from January to April.   ;)  I hadn't bought a loco for about 4 months.

Thanks, RAM.  Since oil can't be shovelled, I don't see how it gets to the locomotive.

You have to shovel REAL fast.

Dick
Texas Chief
Santa Fe All The Way!

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

mf5117

actually ,wood ,water ,fuel i.e oil,and coal tenders . just like using the sand for traction .they all work off valves and air pumps in the olden days . i would much rather operate a valve than run a shovel....... i never used a bucket unless it was the honey-bucket . i hated having to empty it ..... so is the encoder inside the tender... and are they easy to replace ...... i was looking at my 4-8-4 today . shows what i know ... but glad i finally got one to learn from and enjoy .... regards mark f

Capt Steve

Hello,

I didn't buy a 4-8-4, but I did buy a 2-8-0 from "The Favorite Place" auction on ebay.  I guess all I am allowed to say (message board rules) is that the sale went smooth, just as it should.  I only say this in case some one is not too sure about the whole "online" thing.

Also, it seems like he has a lot of inventory.  Once I get this Loco dialed in, I guess it will be time to find the next Loco.

I can hear my wife now.....

Yampa Bob

Steve,
I have four Spectrum 2-8-0. I anticipated the price increase last year, so stocked up at the old price.

Overall, the 2-8-0 is possibly the best steam loco Bachmann makes, and has enjoyed a long production run. (I think over 10 years).

If you can't decide what else to buy, just get another 2-8-0.   :D

WGL

On the advice of YampaBob & Jim Banner, I added weight to the pony truck of my new 4-8-4, because its wheels would slip off the rails going through my 2 turnouts that are connected to each other.  I didn't have sheet lead, so I got an old split shot from my tackle box, flattened it with pliers & trimmed it to fit the small flat space on top of the pony truck.  Doubtful that so small a weight would help, I was pleased to see my 4-8-4 traverse those turnouts 6 times in succession, before I stopped the train.  Previously, the locomotive would make no more than 1 or 2 laps before derailing.

Yampa Bob

Way to go. I picked up a bunch of used wheel weights from our tire supply store, cut them up in small pieces then flattened them on an anvil with a hammer into thin sheets.

Tackle shops have narrow lead strips that work great for light weighting.

Another option is to buy a small box of lead .38 bullets used for reloading, from a sporting goods store or gun shop. They can be placed in tight places, like in a tender, with double sided foam servo tape. I once bought a box of 100 at a yard sale for $1.   8)

mf5117

i've also got to weight my pony trucks on my 4-8-4 , and shim the tender coupler.. bob is the 2-8-0 steam better running on the 22" and 18" radius. i did notice you said you had bought 4 of them . i saw the bachmann 2-8-0 steam dcc onboard listed in the trainworld ad in the model railroader mag .for around $90.00 . i may add a 1ft to the width and a 1ft to the length of the 4x8 table i have now and make it a 5x9 with larger radius curves . if the 2-8-0 would perform better on my layout ...  i would be happy with that .to pull my passengers .they are 50' overlands. .... thanks mark f