DC controller runs full throttle

Started by Chuck S, February 25, 2009, 11:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck S

Hi,

I just received a brand new, straight out of the box combo pack of EZ track and a DC controller.  The controller feeds full power to the track no matter where the "speed" dial is located.  Is there a way I can troubleshoot this problem before I contact customer service?  I ran a few different locomotives with the same results.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck S

jward

the problem sounds like a short in the speed control. on the older rheostat type packs that usually meant replacing the rheostat, not something that i would recommend to a casual user. since the pack is under warranty i wouldn't even try to open it up to look. any check you do at home would probably void the warranty.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Chuck S

Good Advice!

I just found a troubleshooting guide in the product references on the left hand side of this site.  I didn't hook up the controller in the order specified.  I will retry tomorrow and post an update.  If I still have the same problem I will contact the warranty service department for further instructions.

Thanks!

Chuck S.

Joe Satnik

Dear Chuck,

Is it one of these? (Item 44212)

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=209

Is the track power plug all the way in?

Does it work the same way in the reverse direction?

Where/who did you buy it from, do you have a warranty?

Are you skilled with a small soldering iron?

Thanks.

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

James Thomas

Are you sure you hooked up the track to "variable DC" and not constant DC?
-JT

Jim Banner

Quote from: Chuck S on February 25, 2009, 11:15:27 PM
Is there a way I can troubleshoot this problem before I contact customer service?
Chuck S

No.  If you were an electronics tech, you would not have had to ask that question.  And if you are not an electronics tech, you would be better off sending this unit in for warranty service.  Sorry, but that is the "straight from the shoulder" answer.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Chuck S

Quote from: Joe Satnik on February 26, 2009, 07:59:54 AM
Dear Chuck,

Is it one of these? (Item 44212)

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=209

Is the track power plug all the way in?

Does it work the same way in the reverse direction?

Where/who did you buy it from, do you have a warranty?

Are you skilled with a small soldering iron?

Thanks.

Joe Satnik

Hi Joe,

Yes, both wall transformer and control from iten 44212.

As far as I know all connections were plugged all the way in.

All locomotives  ran full throttle in one direction no matter where the direction control was set or "speed" knob was set.

Ebay store, The Favorite Spot, item description "Bachmann HO Nickel Oval Track & Trans Train 25014-Track

http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-HO-NICKEL-OVAL-TRACK-TRANS-TRAIN-25014-Track_W0QQitemZ350170367971QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item350170367971&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14
(Sorry, couldn't get a hyperlink)

Yes, I have soldering skills.

Thanks,

Chuck S

Chuck S

Quote from: James Thomas on February 26, 2009, 01:33:47 PM
Are you sure you hooked up the track to "variable DC" and not constant DC?
-JT

Hi JT,

I have Bachmann transformer/controller item # 44212.  Forgive my ignorance, but I just plugged the transformer into the controller.  Are there two inputs, one for variable and one for constant?

Thanks,

Chuck S

Chuck S

Quote from: Jim Banner on February 26, 2009, 02:19:04 PM
Quote from: Chuck S on February 25, 2009, 11:15:27 PM
Is there a way I can troubleshoot this problem before I contact customer service?
Chuck S

No.  If you were an electronics tech, you would not have had to ask that question.  And if you are not an electronics tech, you would be better off sending this unit in for warranty service.  Sorry, but that is the "straight from the shoulder" answer.

Hi Jim,

No apologies needed!  I respect your answer.  I have other working transformers/controllers I can use while this one is being repaired, lol.

Thanks,

Chuck S

Joe Satnik

Chuck,

I concur that you should seek warranty coverage. 

If you want to know more about your unit:

The controller has a "16V AC in" jack (from wall wart transformer),

two "16V AC accessories out" Push-Insert-Release wire terminals and

a variable "DC track out" jack, (ring +/-, shank common return path).   

If you are daisy chaining into a EZ-Command DCC station, the tip of the plug is also 16V AC, with return path on the shank.

The PIR near the "AC in" jack is common.

The PIR near the "track out" jack is 16V AC "hot".

If you have a voltmeter, set it to measure at least 20 volts. 

Probe the PIR common with the black lead. 

Probe each of the tracks one at a time with the red lead.  (One rail should be 0 volts common, the other should be variable DC, but in your case max DC volts.)

If the rail has (+) positive voltage, more than likely the "+ final output" transistor Q1 (NPN) is shorted Collector to Emitter, and needs to be replaced.   

If the rail has (-) negative voltage, more than likely the "- final output" transistor Q2 (PNP) is shorted Collector to Emitter, and needs to be replaced.

Since the C and E legs of the transistor are next to each other, it is possible there is a solder bridge short between them, and the transistor isn't internally bad (shorted).

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Chuck S

All,

I followed the steps provided by the instruction manual in regards to the order all electrical connections are made.  The locomotive still ran at full throttle.  I am fully convinced that I have defective controller.  Therefore, I will be contacting warranty services and begin the process.  I thank you all for your time in this matter!

Joe, I have a voltage tester and can easily follow your great instructions, but since the unit is under warranty I will let the professionals handle the issue.  However, I will keep your information to help diagnose future issues with transformers that are not under warranty. 

On a side note, I plan on using DCC in the future, and I am grateful for this site and all the members!

Thanks again,

Chuck S