News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#6 crossover mods

Started by hunter2115, February 26, 2009, 07:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter2115

I've read about folks modifying E-Z track crossovers and switches with a file to smooth them out and make them more reliable. Can someone offer more detail as to exactly what areas of the track need to be modified? Mine seem to work ok for the most part, but I do get occassional derailments and they seem to be awfully noisy when the cars pass over them. The points seem to be fine from factory. They are too expensive to just start filing without asking for advice. Thanks for the help!

Yampa Bob

My advice is, easy on the filing. If the ends of the points are blunt, and not recessed into the stock rail, a wheel might "pick the points" and try to go between the point and rail, causing a derail.  Filing the point tips a bit might help, but there are other issues.

The internal springs that hold the points against the stock rail are pretty weak. The only workaround is to install manual throws, with linkage to the throw bar. Some have tried installing stiffer springs, don't know if this can be done on Bachmann turnouts.

The other issue is the flangeway length. If the frog point is rounded, blunt or too short, this increases the no rail "drop zone" in the flangeway.  This cause the noise you are hearing. "Bam, bam" as the wheel drops then rebounds, also can cause derailment. The frog point should be sharp and extend deeply into the V formed by the wing rails to shorten the flangeway.

Wheels out of gauge, or improper turnout guard rail clearance can also attribute to derailment.  Best way I've found to check for problem areas is to take a loose truck with metal wheels, put your index finger in the middle and push it back and forth through the turnout with varied down pressure and speed.  You will feel the slightest imperfection in the turnout and hear the noise.

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

grumpy

Hunter
The biggest problem I have found with the crossovers is that some have a slight twist in them . The solution is to fasten them firmly to the base.. Use a straight edge to determine the twist.
Don