News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

royal scot

Started by locolobo, February 26, 2009, 12:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locolobo

I bought a royal scot  at a garage sale complete new in box. So my questions are i am wondering the approximate age and what it might be worth,Because i would like to keep it for my son and i would like to keep it nice if it is a collectors item. THE SERIAL # IS 2125 AND IT IS BLUE WITH GOLD ACCENTS AND CREAM COLORED STRIP ON THE ROYAL COACH.THANKS A LOT.

SteamGene

I believe this is G scale.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  By and large, train sets of almost any sort do not appreciate in value.  There may be some exceptions, or you may get lucky (some do), I wouild say it is NOT a collector's item, but it is fun to set up and run and a great introduction to a wonderful hobby. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Hamish K

Around 20 years ago (I think) Bachmann released a Royal Scot set described as HO which appears to match the one in question (there may have been more than one version).  I say described as HO as I think it was actually British OO  (i.e 1:76 scale running on HO gauge track whereas HO is 1:87 scale running on the same gauge track).

Your set may have some collectors value, they appear on EBay and on second had dealers sites every so often, I saw one recently asking $250 Canadian for it (it was not an auction site and I don't know whether they sold it, or whether that is a realistic price).

This is not the best place to ask about the collectors value of old trains - most people here are modellers, i.e. they build and run model railroads, not collectors who simply acquire them and value them for their rarity etc. This set has little value to modellers, it is in incorrect livery and much more accurate , later, models of the prototype are available in British OO, including by Bachmann Branchlines, Bachmann's British arm.

Keep an eye on EBay, or perhaps list it their yourself, if you want an idea of its collectors value.

Hamish

Hamish K

I don't know what got into me this morning, I keep mixing up my "there"s!

Hamish