News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GS4 4-8-4 Loco stalls exiting curve

Started by Chuck S, February 27, 2009, 12:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck S

My brand new GS4 4-8-4 SP Daylight locomotive (DCC equiped) ran fine for about 20 minutes.  I was very impressed with its ability to start at a crawl.  Anyway, the loco started to stall whenever it would exit a curve.  At slower speeds it would stop totally.  At higher speeds, the loco would clear the curve and resume travel.  I did not notice any flickering lights.  The lights would remain on when the loco was completely stopped.  I then ran the loco in reverse with no problems. 

I am using DC.  Before I ran the loco I removed the decoder and installed the dummy plugs.  My EZ track is brand new as well.  Anyone have any similar problems?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck S

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Tylerf

I have the older model with dcc installed in it, the loco runs very well on straight but slows, details, and just runs poorly on any curve tighter than 42 degrees

Chuck S

Chuck S

Quote from: Tylerf on February 27, 2009, 11:06:13 AM
I have the older model with dcc installed in it, the loco runs very well on straight but slows, details, and just runs poorly on any curve tighter than 42 degrees

Hello,

So far I have not have any derailments.  I was actually suprised at how well the loco performed on the curved sections at a higher than prototype speed (breaking in the new engine). 

I have an old HO Lionel GS4 4-8-4 Daylight made in approx 1975 (no dcc).  It performswell around the curves, but doesn't have the pulling power (It is 34 years old after all).

Thanks,

Chuck S

grumpy

I would check the leading and trailing trucks to make sure they are tracking properly.

Don

Chuck S

Hi Don,

I watched all the wheels, including tender, to make sure they stayed on the track.  I did not notice anything out of the ordinary(wheels stayed on track, no lifting or shifting of wheels).  I used an oval setup for initial break-in of the engine so it was easy to watch the loco.

I will be visiting some out-of-own hobby shops this morning but I will retry the loco this afternoon.  My guess is that the dummy plug(s) or an internal wire may be loose.

Thanks everyone,

Chuck S

Chuck S

All,

Everything is alright.  There were no stalls whatsoever tonight.  I ran the loco for three hours solid and not one single problem.  My best guess here is that the DCC plugs may have been loose.

Thanks everyone,

Chuck S